Gibson Brands Forums

Questions about the Nathanial Rateliff LG-2 Western

jellyrohl

Hello, I bought a Nathanial Rateliff LG-2 Western a few months ago from a seller on Reverb. It’s not often they come up for sale, so I said screw it, and went for it. I really love this guitar, but I have a few questions

1) Mine came with a COA from the Gibson custom shop, but looking around on Gibsons website today, I can’t find any indication that it’s a custom shop guitar. What’s the deal with this? I’d think this would be something they’d advertise the snot out of. I had no idea it was a custom shop guitar, but smiled and was excited when I saw the COA

2) I noticed the images Gibson has for this model on their website depicts a strap button on the heel of the neck, but mine doesn’t have one. Looking at an old listing on Sweetwater (who post pictures of the actual guitar you’re getting), theirs didn’t have a button on the heel either. I’m guessing this is just one of the spec things that changed without warning, and the images on the site were never updated?

Thank you all! I absolutely love this little guitar, it’s a lot of fun to play, and it sounds great!

If you look at say the Wildwood site not one of their current Gibson signature acoustics is described as an Acoustic Custom Shop model.  The only LG2 so listed is the 1942 Banner.  Hey, possibly Bozeman is following the Laws of Psychoacoustics and believes that the name of the player adorning the guitar is a better marketing tool than the instrument's association with the Custom Shop.   

Edited by zombywoof

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Closest thing I got is one of Nathaniel’s albums. 

Closer than me as I have never even heard of him.  Then again, I do not get out much.  But Martin has left Gibson with pretty slim pickings for signature acoustics.  Other than the Rateliff and the Keb Mo models, Bozeman's signature guitars tend to bear famous names but of those far better known for playing electrics.  The only Gibson guitars associated with artists I have bought LPs by would be Woody, Arlo and Kris.

Edited by zombywoof