Gibson Brands Forums

Pump polish on pickguard as well?

Simonw

Hello! 
I noticed my J45 (deluxe rosewood) wasnt as shiny as before and after some googling I read that you could, and should, maintain the nitro finish by buffing it with “Gibson pump polish”. (Really I just love some shine…)

I ordered a kit, now though I’m a bit nervous. Do anyone of you know if I can use it on the pickguard as well? Figured I wanna give the whole thing a wipe…

thanks! 

If Bozeman builds them like they used to (which may or may not be the case) the pickguard would sport a lacquer finish.  While I keep Virtuoso cleaner and polish on hand, I rarely use them though preferring to go with a cheesecloth slightly dampened with distilled water.  About the only thing I do every string change is to go over the fingerboard with bore oil.  And I have to admit I have splurged on the rather pricey Fret Doctor board conditioner.  

Edited by zombywoof

I've used it on Gibson's  engraved/painted p'guards as well with no noticeable effect.  I assume Gibson specs required the polish to NOT harm their pick guards. And, I assume if there were some link - we would have had dozens of people  'reporting' it here. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I've been using that polish on my guitars for years with no issues. I clean my guitars off every time I change strings. Use a clean micro-fiber cloth so you don't scratch anything, and you should be fine. 

Even with a microfiber cloth, depending on your finish, you can still get light swirl marks. I know cos my Ebony Elvis Dove everything is apparent.