Gibson Brands Forums

Disappointed with my Korina Flying V

Xaverius_Textor

Six months ago I purchased the guitar I wanted my whole life, the mighty Korina ‘58 Flying V… I was dreaming with this guitar since I was a teenager.

IMG-8291.jpg

In all this time the guitar has spend the major time kept in its hard case, I played with it just only a few times in my home studio and never gigged it out of my home because I only record my stuff in home and I’m mainly a guitar collector.

A few days ago I pulled out my Korina V outside from its case and for my surprise I observed how the chevron tailpiece was very tarnished and one of the pins top had broken.

IMG-8616.jpg

IMG-8617.jpg

IMG-8618.jpg

It’s very disgusting to observe how a 10K guitar has such kind of bad quality parts and very, very disappointing to see how Gibson uses the too bad quality parts for a high quality product supposed to be this “Custom Shop”.

IMG-7499.jpg

I have a large collection of guitars, mainly Gibson from the 90’s, the 80’s and the 70’s all of them hanged in their stands and outside it’s hardcases and never got rusted or tarnished and nitro finish still as the first day in my home studio which is pet-free, dust-free and has constant and controlled temperature and humidity the whole year but as being the korina v the main masterpiece of my collection I decided to keep it always in its case and never imagined this kind of things can happen in a guitar of this level.

I contacted with Gibson Service and never got an answer and also I contacted the authorised dealer to ask for a solution or a replacement of the parts and I’m still waiting for a solution.

Personally, I think that Gibson needs to rethink the way they build their products because it is very disappointing to see how old guitars resist over the years better than modern custom ones which brokes in less than 6 months.

Honestly, this unpleasant experience has made me to decide to not buy a modern Gibson custom shop guitars never again.

I presume that much like a historic Les Paul these have a close to period correct finish in the hardware. If so, it tarnished because they designed it to do that, like the original ones did. 

I find it hard to believe the pin sheared off while it sat quietly in a case to be perfectly honest. 

On 9/8/2023 at 8:17 PM, Eracer_Team said:

Must have been very damp/moist in that case

There’s no moisture in the case and the room… the moisture percentage of the room is usually between 40 and 50%, as I previously said, my home studio has controlled moisture and temperature the whole year so I don’t think that would be the problem.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:07 PM, Farnsbarns said:

I presume that much like a historic Les Paul these have a close to period correct finish in the hardware. If so, it tarnished because they designed it to do that, like the original ones did. 

I find it hard to believe the pin sheared off while it sat quietly in a case to be perfectly honest. 

I suppose the tarnishing of the tailpiece is quite normal as being correct period hardware but the broken pin is quite strange… the guitar has not too much movement and that’s what intrigues me.

11 hours ago, Xaverius_Textor said:

I suppose the tarnishing of the tailpiece is quite normal as being correct period hardware but the broken pin is quite strange… the guitar has not too much movement and that’s what intrigues me.

It looks like the pin snapped off clean. I see no corrosion or rust.