Gibson Brands Forums

Memphis St. Blues Guitars

Riffster

I am not a Tele guy but I really like this Memphis St. Blues 61 South with the P90 on the neck. Cool looking guitar.

Has anyone seen one of these?

http://www.saintblues.com/home.php

Yeah, I just posted a pic in the Hideous Creations thread. I used to have one. I sold it after getting tired of it not staying in tune. That was 20 odd years ago, they might be better now.

Not a Tele guy? Everybody need one

I am not a Tele guy but I really like this Memphis St. Blues 61 South with the P90 on the neck. Cool looking guitar.

Has anyone seen one of these?

http://www.saintblues.com/home.php

Funny but I played one today at a local music store. I didn't plug it in though. I was just checking playability and action. I play two different models - this one and another, but I can't remember which was which as one played good but the other felt like it needed a good set up.

That brand, I learned last time I was in the store in Memphis, is run by Strings & Things. I think years ago they were garbage but the family runs that show has worked hard to get the quality up high. Very cool-looking guitar & yeah the prices are past the $1000 price point... but way way cheaper than a new Gibson Les Paul Standard (Traditional?), say. I wish I could say I've played one, it looks like a killer guitar - what a Gibson/Fender hybrid ought to be.

I've heard the same thing. i.e. the 'old' Strings&Things St.Blues has some quality issues toward the end but the new owners have bent over backward to put out good quality stuff (made in Korea). The folks that have bought the 'new' ones seem very satisfied. I notice that their prices are steadily going up, though. That Bluesmaster IV with P-90s and the maple fretboard in sunburst has been tempting me for quite awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

i dropped by the shop across from sun studios when i was in memphis and ended up buying a 61 south (thinline) on the spot. great great guitars, i heard about some quality issues when it was run by strings and things but the guys there were really nice and i even got to speak with tom keckler the original designer of the guitar. the rundown i got was that they've got much higher quality imports coming from korea but they've started making high-end USA models too!

Archived