Gibson Brands Forums

New J-200 sounds dull and lifeless

tomgw63

I just received my new Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" J-200 in vintage natural (purchased from Sweetwater). The build quality, finish and setup are all outstanding - but I'm underwhelmed with the unplugged sound. It sounds so dull and lifeless that if I had picked it up and played it in a guitar shop, I would've hung it back on the wall and kept looking for something better. I've watched lots of YouTube video reviews, read buyer reviews on both Sweetwater and Guitar Center's websites, and some people think their J-200s sound great, some say it has a good "plugged in" sound, others merely say it's a good "rhythm guitar". I'm mainly interested in the "unplugged' sound of mine. Is there anything I can do to brighten up/improve the sound? New Strings? Bone bridge pins? According to the hang tag it's currently strung with Gibson brand strings. I'm mainly an electric player, but I've wanted a good acoustic for a long time. This is the first brand new acoustic I've ever owned. I want to love it, but it just doesn't sound good to me. I've played many sub-$500 guitars that sound 10 times better than this one does. Is there anything I can do to improve the sound of this guitar? Or should I just return it?

6 hours ago, tomgw63 said:

I just received my new Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" J-200 in vintage natural (purchased from Sweetwater). The build quality, finish and setup are all outstanding - but I'm underwhelmed with the unplugged sound. It sounds so dull and lifeless that if I had picked it up and played it in a guitar shop, I would've hung it back on the wall and kept looking for something better. I've watched lots of YouTube video reviews, read buyer reviews on both Sweetwater and Guitar Center's websites, and some people think their J-200s sound great, some say it has a good "plugged in" sound, others merely say it's a good "rhythm guitar". I'm mainly interested in the "unplugged' sound of mine. Is there anything I can do to brighten up/improve the sound? New Strings? Bone bridge pins? According to the hang tag it's currently strung with Gibson brand strings. I'm mainly an electric player, but I've wanted a good acoustic for a long time. This is the first brand new acoustic I've ever owned. I want to love it, but it just doesn't sound good to me. I've played many sub-$500 guitars that sound 10 times better than this one does. Is there anything I can do to improve the sound of this guitar? Or should I just return it?

Congratulations! Well, first off, which I'm sure you've done, is check to make sure they sent you the right IBG( Inspired by Gibson) that has the orange label. Next I would get a mirror and look at the ball ends on the strings through the sound hole and make sure they're not all different colors (daddarios) even though the specs and hang tag said Gibson strings like mine did. Mine had Daddarios on it and the hang tag said Gibson. Note: I just recieved the IBG Epiphone Hummingbird 12 string on Nov 5th. Yours already has bone nut and saddle by the specs. I changed my strings first, then after about a week, I changed the bridge pins to the "Presentation Style" Tusq (graph tech) bridge pins cause the plastic ones were fitted waaaaay to tight and a few were okay. Almost had to use a claw hammer to get the factory pins out. The "Traditional Style" graph tech) pins are too big and didn't want to sand em down. Other than that, I wouldn't know what else to recommend other than sending it back. Personally I've never been a Gibson J200 fan cause I'm along with the others, it's okay sometime but not all the time syndrome. I know the IBG Epiphone Hummingbird reviews are all 100% positive no matter what site  you read them on if you are opting for a different IBG guitar. May visit with Sweetwater and speak to them about it. Those people are great and will make it happen for you, they're not like some others I know. BTW, I use John Pearse Phosphor Bronze 12-53's on my Gibson Hummingbird and sound waaay better than the regular Gibson 12-53 Phosphor Bronze strings if this helps. I've never been a  Daddario fan unless that's all there was. Good luck, wish I had some more suggestions at this point. Again congratulations!

On 12/2/2023 at 6:43 PM, the other side said:

Congratulations! Well, first off, which I'm sure you've done, is check to make sure they sent you the right IBG( Inspired by Gibson) that has the orange label. Next I would get a mirror and look at the ball ends on the strings through the sound hole and make sure they're not all different colors (daddarios) even though the specs and hang tag said Gibson strings like mine did. Mine had Daddarios on it and the hang tag said Gibson. Note: I just recieved the IBG Epiphone Hummingbird 12 string on Nov 5th. Yours already has bone nut and saddle by the specs. I changed my strings first, then after about a week, I changed the bridge pins to the "Presentation Style" Tusq (graph tech) bridge pins cause the plastic ones were fitted waaaaay to tight and a few were okay. Almost had to use a claw hammer to get the factory pins out. The "Traditional Style" graph tech) pins are too big and didn't want to sand em down. Other than that, I wouldn't know what else to recommend other than sending it back. Personally I've never been a Gibson J200 fan cause I'm along with the others, it's okay sometime but not all the time syndrome. I know the IBG Epiphone Hummingbird reviews are all 100% positive no matter what site  you read them on if you are opting for a different IBG guitar. May visit with Sweetwater and speak to them about it. Those people are great and will make it happen for you, they're not like some others I know. BTW, I use John Pearse Phosphor Bronze 12-53's on my Gibson Hummingbird and sound waaay better than the regular Gibson 12-53 Phosphor Bronze strings if this helps. I've never been a  Daddario fan unless that's all there was. Good luck, wish I had some more suggestions at this point. Again congratulations!

lotta good advice here. J200s for as large as they are aren't particularly loud guitars- a dread or slope shoulder guitar is going to project maybe a bit more than a jumbo. especially a poly finished fresh-wood epiphone, im not surprised you're finding it to be a little muted. 

over time as it ages and as it is played, it will develop more character, but it's not as pronounced as their gibson counterparts with better quality components and nitro settling in faster. 

Thanks for your advice - I genuinely appreciate it.  I'm going to check the strings on my J-200 to see if they're actually Gibson or D'addarios. I love the look of the J-200, but I'm leaning toward returning it and getting an IBG Hummingbird instead. None of the guitar stores/shops in my area have any of the IBG Epi acoustics in stock, so my only reference is that I've played 3-4 different Epiphone Hummingbird models, both Pro and Studio, and they all sound about 10 times better to me than my J-200 does. I feel bad because I love the way my J-200 looks, and it does have great sustain, but for what it cost it shouldn't be outshined by sub-$500 guitars from the same brand.

3 hours ago, tomgw63 said:

Thanks for your advice - I genuinely appreciate it.  I'm going to check the strings on my J-200 to see if they're actually Gibson or D'addarios. I love the look of the J-200, but I'm leaning toward returning it and getting an IBG Hummingbird instead. None of the guitar stores/shops in my area have any of the IBG Epi acoustics in stock, so my only reference is that I've played 3-4 different Epiphone Hummingbird models, both Pro and Studio, and they all sound about 10 times better to me than my J-200 does. I feel bad because I love the way my J-200 looks, and it does have great sustain, but for what it cost it shouldn't be outshined by sub-$500 guitars from the same brand.

yea my guess is you just may prefer the sound of mahogany back and sides and the slope shoulder more than a jumbo with maple. definitely check out the IBG Hummingbird, it seems to be the best of that IBG bunch. For as much as I love epiphones it seems like J200s just need to be a very certain Gibson thing (and like 10x the cost) otherwise you're just buying it for the aesthetic. 

as for strings i was a big fan of martin phosphor bronze for years and years on my epiphone hummingbird and then my gibson j45. I just switched to John Pearse strings and they're really something else. worth the extra few bucks!

good luck!

31 minutes ago, tomgw63 said:

I checked the ball ends of my strings with a mirror last night, and they're all gold, so probably Gibson strings. I'm going to call Sweetwater and talk to them about returning the J-200 and getting an IBG Hummingbird.

I think you won't be disappointed with your decision. That IBG Hummingbird is a win win situation. Cunningham had pointed out, I had overlooked, is the J200 is maple back and sides and with a spruce top. It will definately sound different. The gibson J200 is also called the "whispering giant". I too agree with Cunningham you'll probably be very happy with the sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides sound. If you are in question of a case for the IBG Hummingbird, I bought the Edread case (129.00), which is for all the hummingbird as well and it is a fantastic case. It is a better case than my gibson hummingbird came in. Not trying to help anyone spend their money,  just sharing a little insight I went through without any foresight. Good luck! BTW, I would steer clear of any "demo models" that are cheaper. I personally don't think they were hanging up on a wall and played by customers.

Edited by the other side
Added text.

I agree with the others, return the J-200 and get the Epi IBG Hummingbird..I own it as well as the Gibson bird The Epi IBG bird is fantastic, your only problem maybe to find one with a decent top on it that is not stained with runout. Not sure where Gibson gets their top spruce woods that causes such staining and bad appearance. Bought my Epi IBG Hummingbird used online at GC because I could see the spruce top was not marred in color with stains and run out. Also know that Sweetwater sells the IBG Hummingbird, but they are now all made in CHINA, no longer indonesia, as marked on the rear headstock in Sweetwaters pics. Now I used to just love my stunning and beautiful Gibson J-200 but sold it because no matter what I did, or what strings I used. it just sounded dead, like it was missing something tone wise on sound, even though it had great sustain. The J-200 just sounded two dimentional to me, missing the three dimentional sound of the bird or J-45. In my opinion the J-200 is just to big to produce the delicious focused sound of the Hummingbird or J-45, perhaps because of the maple which affects the sound. The IBG sould sound rich, full, clear adn focused. I have the IBG J-45 and it too is very good if you can bear the horrendous pick guard, which I tore off and replaced with the regulae celluloid tear drop guard. Good luck, you'll find your way. let us know how you make out ok?  thx.

Edited by ALD323

I did notice yesterday that of the 4 Antique Natural IBG Hummingbirds listed on Sweetwater's website, two had the "made in Indonesia" sticker and two "made in China". I'm glad I looked, because I thought all the IBG Epi acoustics were made in Indonesia.

5 hours ago, tomgw63 said:

I did notice yesterday that of the 4 Antique Natural IBG Hummingbirds listed on Sweetwater's website, two had the "made in Indonesia" sticker and two "made in China". I'm glad I looked, because I thought all the IBG Epi acoustics were made in Indonesia.

WOW! That's new to me too. I just ran the 4 on the Epiphone Dater Project and sure enough the last four 0220 and 0106 shows china. Maybe that why some of the demos I've seen, the person would say China and just thought that was an assumption. I believe I'd opt the Indonesia. I've read hit and miss on China's, not particular to the IBGs. I thought all were from Indonesia too. On another note, the few IBG Hummingbird reviews and sound demos I've listened to, when they referred to made in China, were all 5 star quality as well and all the other reviews/demos that made no reference to origin, were all 5 stars too. I've never heard of any reviews other than 5 star craftsmanship. 

Edited by the other side
Added text.

23 hours ago, tomgw63 said:

FWIW i have one of the 150th zephyrs from indonesia and the quality is impeccable!

Edited by cunningham26

I'm still on the fence about returning my J-200 for a Hummingbird. I called Sweetwater and everything is set to go, I just have to pull the trigger. But for some reason I can't seem to give up on the J-200. I find myself playing it every night, sometimes twice a night. I love the way it looks and the way it feels in my hands, and I'm probably wrong, but I keep looking for solutions to improve the unplugged volume/tone. I'd like to try a set of John Pearse strings on it before giving up on it, but I don't know which strings to buy. I went to the John Pearse website, and they list all the specs of the strings, but no real description of what they sound like. I also still can't find a guitar store anywhere even semi-close to where I live that has an IBG Hummingbird in stock. The closest one is Chicago Music Exchange, which is an exceptional store, but it's kind of difficult to get to. I'd like to be able to drive to Sweetwater and compare my J-200 with other examples, and play it back to back with an IBG Hummingbird, but Ft. Wayne is a 3 1/2 hour drive for me (one way).  Any advice on strings would be greatly appreciated.

15 hours ago, tomgw63 said:

I'm still on the fence about returning my J-200 for a Hummingbird. I called Sweetwater and everything is set to go, I just have to pull the trigger. But for some reason I can't seem to give up on the J-200. I find myself playing it every night, sometimes twice a night. I love the way it looks and the way it feels in my hands, and I'm probably wrong, but I keep looking for solutions to improve the unplugged volume/tone. I'd like to try a set of John Pearse strings on it before giving up on it, but I don't know which strings to buy. I went to the John Pearse website, and they list all the specs of the strings, but no real description of what they sound like. I also still can't find a guitar store anywhere even semi-close to where I live that has an IBG Hummingbird in stock. The closest one is Chicago Music Exchange, which is an exceptional store, but it's kind of difficult to get to. I'd like to be able to drive to Sweetwater and compare my J-200 with other examples, and play it back to back with an IBG Hummingbird, but Ft. Wayne is a 3 1/2 hour drive for me (one way).  Any advice on strings would be greatly appreciated.

John Pearse 600L 12-53 (they are phosphor bronze) is what I use on my Gibson Hummingbird. You'll probably need to order them on Amazon or buy direct from Chicago Music is your quickest way. Just looked, they are 9.49 a set and in stock. I haven't seen any John Pearse string demos anywhere. The thing here is I don't know how they are gonna sound on your J200. Another thing is you can't really get a good idea of sound if they're new strings. But I can say, they will not change the sound your J200 sounds like or any string. If you have the time and being on the fence, I believe I would opt the 3 1/2 hour trip to Sweetwater which will save you time and have an immediate resolution to  your decision and get in person answers to other questions that may arise on your drive to sweetwater. Buying an acoustic guitar, especially your first, is a whole different world compared to an electric.  Hope this helps. Good luck! 

Edited by the other side
Corrected txt.

My IBG J45 sounded dull and lifeless too until I replaced the strings with Elixir 80/20 which really opened up the sound.  It sounds great now - I didn't do anything else - just the string change.  I can't put it down now plus it has the look as well!

Thanks for the string advice. I found myself in Chicago this past Saturday, so I went to Chicago Music Exchange and I played their Epi IBG Hummingbird. It has the sound I like, as many of you suggested. While I was there, I wanted something to compare my J-200 with. So I played a Gibson pre-war style SJ-200 Sunburst with rosewood back and sides (I know it's not a fair comparison, but they didn't have any Gibson SJ-200s with maple back and sides in stock). It sounded absolutely incredible, like a choir of angels singing. I've never played any guitar, acoustic or electric ,that sounded that good (I've also never played a guitar with a price tag of $7,499.99 before, so yeah, it should've sounded incredible). I may have ruined myself for playing guitars that mere mortals can afford, but it was an experience I'll never forget (in a really good way). After I carefully handed the Gibson back to the salesman, I looked around for something of approximately the same jumbo body size/shape that had maple back and sides for a closer comparison with my Epi J-200. I spotted a Guild that fit the bill, picked it up and strummed it and yes, it too sounded great. Then I looked at the price tag and it was priced at $4,499.99, so again, no wonder it sounded so good. I left with a new perspective on what certain guitars actually sound and play like, so for me it was a very beneficial visit.

Later that night, when I played my Epi J-200, it sounded better to me. I expected the opposite after having played the aforementioned guitars earlier that day, so I was pleasantly surprised. I was using a different pick, but I've been playing it a lot, and now it sounds better to me than it did when I first played it. At present I think I'll keep it, and maybe I'll get a Hummingbird somewhere down the road. 

IMG_2176.jpg

429F7A5D-0A83-40D5-8672-1F89C094F743.jpg

Glad to hear you made it to one of the two and had a wonderful experience. Sounds like you got yourself into a crossfire there 😂. That choir angels you heard singing was probably when you were passed out for a brief moment from the price tag followed with the sound to get you conscious again (not in any particular order). At least you had that in person hands on because it's hard to describe some things that have no written definition in a book. One thing about an all solid wood guitar, they all will improve (open up) in sound/tone in the coming years. The main thing to all of it here is, your still playing ! That's what it's all about!

I  just thought of one other thing that will affect the tone and sound alot on your J200, or any other solid wooded acoustic, is the humidity factor in keeping between 40% minimum and 55% maximum. I personally use the Boveda Humidipak system and keep my guitars in the case at all times when not playing. Daddario Humidipaks are the same cause Boveda makes them for Daddario and just puts Daddario's name on them.