Gibson Brands Forums

Are all new Gibson acoustics fixed bridge?

Toddrich

I see the term “fixed bridge” used in the specs of some of the higher end acoustics. I don’t get it, aren’t all new acoustics “fixed bridge”? Do they mean the saddle itself is fixed? I realize a few earlier acoustics had a “tune o matic” or similar. Is this just a gimmick?

IMG_2836.jpeg

4 hours ago, Toddrich said:

I don’t get it, aren’t all new acoustics “fixed bridge”?

No, they are not. The 60's original series has an updated version of the adjustable bridge, just like the real 1960's instruments had.

Bridge:
Traditional belly up, Adjustable

There were several variations of the 60's original J-45, think some have been discontinued, but the one at the link below is still on their website (look at the hardware specs). I have a 2020 60's original J-50 with the adjustable bridge, but apparently it was recently discontinued. I think there are one or two other vintage re-issues with the adjustable bridge in the current lineup, but not sure.

Yes, you could argue that this is an "adjustable saddle" and not an "adjustable bridge", we've discussed that before. But they have been called "adjustable bridge" for a long time and most people who are familiar with Gibson acoustics understand what that means. This is not the same thing as the "tune-o-matic".

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Acoustic-Guitar/ACCJ5F910/Wine-Red?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh_Lx6JSUgwMVjtbICh2D9gsREAAYAiAAEgIX8vD_BwE

Edited by Boyd

12 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I think there are one or two other vintage re-issues with the adjustable bridge in the current lineup, but not sure.

Here you go - a Custom Shop Hummingbird with an adjustable bridge/saddle. So, in the case of the Hummingbird, I think Gibson mentions "fixed bridge" to differentiate it from this.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Acoustic-Guitar/ACC3PP294/Heritage-Cherry-Sunburst

Edited by Boyd

7 hours ago, Toddrich said:

I see the term “fixed bridge” used in the specs of some of the higher end acoustics. I don’t get it, aren’t all new acoustics “fixed bridge”? Do they mean the saddle itself is fixed? I realize a few earlier acoustics had a “tune o matic” or similar. Is this just a gimmick?

IMG_2836.jpeg

A police investigation has verified that the topless photos that went viral in the Wisconsin volleyball team leaks scandal were acquired using a player's phone check.

I never liked Gibson acoustics. Every time I pick one up and strum it, it sounds like a wet bag of bricks. Then I played a Songwriter model that was well broken in a couple of years ago, and it was just magic. I should have bought it. Still want one. Just the other night I played a buddy’s really old LG model. That’s the one for me. I’ll be hunting one of those.

22 hours ago, Toddrich said:

IMG_2836.jpeg

For this specific model you’re looking at, they made two versions, fixed or adjustable bridge. What’s why they underline the difference in the specs.

The screwiest ADJ saddle bridge design I have ever seen remains those front-loading wrap around contraptions Kay came up with in the later-1950s.  Gibson gets a nod for second place with the pin tailpieces they went with on their L Series archtops into the early-1920s.  

In my non-expert opinion, what Gibson advertised as the fast playing, low action neck in 1960 and then the ADJ saddle bridge becoming standard the following year were a nod to the rising popularity of the electric guitar.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, scriv58 said:

Maybe the bridge got broke and they "fixed" it🤪

Now that you mention it, that's not a very good selling point.

My truck has a fixed grille.

Ad in paper: 2019 Mustang for sale. Fixed windshield.....