Gibson Brands Forums

Scale length of L5

I measured both my Gibson L5's one from 2003 and the other from 1938. They are not exactly 25.5 at all. The distance to the 12 fret from the nut is 25 19/32, per my highly accurate machine-made steel ruler going to 64ths. My fret scale tool in the stop also says this. My question is if they are simply rounding the number or is supposed to be exact? I realize early L5's from the 20'a had a 24 3/4 scale. I also know that over the years Gibson varies is 24 3/4 scale length, but the L5 is listed as 25.5. I take any opinions thoughts or real data?

25 19/32" = 25.5 + .09375"   So, your measurement is less than one tenth of an inch off from the standard scale length for an L5.  L5's generally have floating bridges, which may help to explain (by virtue of human error in positioning the bridge) any such minor discrepancy.  Some L5's will also have bridges with adjustable saddles, making it easier to account for variances (whether accidental or intentional, based on circumstances in getting a specific guitar to play in tune).  Also, you mention Gibson's other standard scale of 24 3/4 as though it might be relevant to the topic of your L5 scales being "off".  Actually, I don't see that as relevant at all, especially considering the fact that your L5 scale measurements are over 25.5, not under.  Basically, I don't think there's anything too odd or unusual going on here, and if you're able to keep the guitars in tune, there's nothing to be concerned about.

23 hours ago, JimR56 said:

25 19/32" = 25.5 + .09375"   So, your measurement is less than one tenth of an inch off from the standard scale length for an L5.  L5's generally have floating bridges, which may help to explain (by virtue of human error in positioning the bridge) any such minor discrepancy.  Some L5's will also have bridges with adjustable saddles, making it easier to account for variances (whether accidental or intentional, based on circumstances in getting a specific guitar to play in tune).  Also, you mention Gibson's other standard scale of 24 3/4 as though it might be relevant to the topic of your L5 scales being "off".  Actually, I don't see that as relevant at all, especially considering the fact that your L5 scale measurements are over 25.5, not under.  Basically, I don't think there's anything too odd or unusual going on here, and if you're able to keep the guitars in tune, there's nothing to be concerned about.

Sorry I gave you the wrong answer. The distance from the nut to the 12th fret is 12 19/32.  Then you double this figure to get the real scale length which in this case is 12.59375 X 2 = 25.1875 and that is significantly different. My 2003 L5 measures.  12 22/32. They are not even  close by pure intonation standards. I know GIbson must have some answer but I guess they don't or don't care.