Gibson Brands Forums

I don't understand....

daveinspain

OK, so I went out and spent 100 euros/ $130 for tickesta to see Gary Moore plus another 14 euros/$18 on his new CD. I figure he is going to be playing a lot of cuts from the new LP to promote it so I wanted to get into the new material... To be honest I was expecting more (no pun intended). His playing is good, the songs are ok but the sound quality of this CD is.... well lets say not up to par. It sounds like a demo tape... His vocals are harsh, the drums sound like cardboard, his tone is not there.... WTF The mix is so closed it almost sounds mono and has an overall distortion in the high end...

Do I have a defective CD? I sure hope so.... Has anyone else heard the new Gary Moore CD "Bad for you Baby" ? I will not let this get me down because I know live he has got to sound incredible right???

You may have a deffective CD, or not...

Anyway, I have always found Gary's tone (and overall sound of the band) a little lacking when comparing his live sound to his records.

And not only with him, it's something that has happened with lots of artists that I first heard in live cds or dvds, I liked them so much I started buying their studio albums, and they just didn't deliver.

You may have a deffective CD' date=' or not...

Anyway, I have always found Gary's tone (and overall sound of the band) a little lacking when comparing his live sound to his records.

And not only with him, it's something that has happened with lots of artists that I first heard in live cds or dvds, I liked them so much I started buying their studio albums, and they just didn't deliver.[/quote']

You might be right Thunder.... Maybe it's because I am a Sound Engineer and I'm too critical... but when I listen to Jeff Beck or any other great guitar player I expect to hear at least a professional sounding recording.

I hope someone else who has heard this CD can comment....

La calidad del sonido en ese CD es pobre. Están consiguiendo perezosos, y la producción y el dirigir es no más importantes. Tomar su dinero es todo que importa - y Gary no tenía casi ciertamente ninguna opinión en el mix-down or mastering (whatever the Spanish is for that). Same old same old record company rip off, nothing changes there.

La calidad del sonido en ese CD es pobre. Están consiguiendo perezosos' date=' y la producción y el dirigir es no más importantes. Tomar su dinero es todo que importa - y Gary no tenía casi ciertamente ninguna opinión en el mix-down or mastering (whatever the Spanish is for that). Same old same old record company rip off, nothing changes there.[/quote']

Hey G u e s t, your Spnish is pretty good... So you agree with me on the recording quality of the CD... What a shame...

But yes - there is a lot of poor quality CDs out there' date=' but most ears don't notice.....[/quote']

Sadly most ears are listening to music through I-pods, mp3 players, and cellphones this days, so they wouldn't notice if the thing was recorded with a real guitar or with a keyboard.

This is how it works today:

-record: spend as little as you can: if you can have the same musician record everything, do it, if you can have someone secuence the whole thing for free, better yet!

-edit: what's that?

-mix: just compress everything to hell, they will thank you as it will appear to sound louder through the Ipod. If you can get the same guy that secuenced the whole thing to give it to you mixed, you get a bonus!

-master: make a stereo track out of that mix (or mono if you want to), then apply 4 compressors.

The thing is... even before they started doing this most people didnt even notice or realize the amount of work and love that went into an album. Only musicians (and not all of them) realized and valued this.

Why is it a shame - were you hoping for a forum fracaas or something?

I think agreeing is underrated' date=' we should try more of it here.

But yes - there is a lot of poor quality CDs out there, but most ears don't notice.....[/quote']

I meant it's a shame the recording is so bad.... Not a shame that you agreed with me.

Now that i think about it this is probably the first CD I have bought in years. So it was a shock to me to hear such a poorly recorded and mixed CD from such a quality artist. Listen to a Trever Horn production whether it be Yes or Seal. You can tell that some serious studio time was spent on every sound and FX used. This GM CD sound like it was recorded live in their rehearsal hall...

Sadly most ears are listening to music through I-pods' date=' mp3 players, and cellphones this days, so they wouldn't notice if the thing was recorded with a real guitar or with a keyboard.

This is how it works today:

-record: spend as little as you can: if you can have the same musician record everything, do it, if you can have someone secuence the whole thing for free, better yet!

-edit: what's that?

-mix: just compress everything to hell, they will thank you as it will appear to sound louder through the Ipod. If you can get the same guy that secuenced the whole thing to give it to you mixed, you get a bonus!

-master: make a stereo track out of that mix (or mono if you want to), then apply 4 compressors.

The thing is... even before they started doing this most people didnt even notice or realize the amount of work and love that went into an album. Only musicians (and not all of them) realized and valued this.[/quote']

=D>

You just hit the nail, on the head my friend.

It's all about head bangin', or pop stars.

The new listeners (buyers) wouldn't know good tone if it hit them in their ear with their cell phone.

They have no idea what music would sound like through a real tube stereo, with a few hundred watts.

Murph.

It's all about head bangin'' date=' or pop stars.

[/quote']

I bet if we made a poll all of us would preffer it if it was all aboud banging pop-stars:-"

The new listeners (buyers) wouldn't know good tone if it hit them in their ear with their cell phone.

LMAO

They have no idea what music would sound like through a real tube stereo' date=' with a few hundred watts.

[/quote']

Maybe they would whine about how it doesn't sound at all like their "industry's standard" netbook's speakers 8-[

Semi-hijack here, but guys - is this me being a hi-fi dumba55 or is this the real deal.....

Back in the day the opinion was that the full sound required big cabinets with good quality woofer, mid-range and tweeter, or at the very least a bass/mid and a tweeter. They needed a good sized box and some heavy wood so the box stood still and the speaker cones moved, and also because bass and size went hand in hand.

Then speakers got smaller and smaller - dinky bookshelf speakers at first, then tiny little things sculpted out of exotic materials but no bigger than a carton of orange juice. And they had a certain bass sound to them, it has to be admitted. But they never sounded quite right to me - kinda synthetic bass and choked highs, I dunno.....

I have Tannoy Concentrics driven by two H||H 100w PA amps - one left, one right. Total separation right through past the power supply, and with enough oomph to make those Tannoys loud. I love them..... but here's the thing. A few younger friends rave about some track or other on their ipod, Hendrix, Allmans - you know, the stuff they have 'just discovered'. So I dig out the original vinyl, drop it on the Technics deck and let rip. Their faces make it all worthwhile. Several have now ditched dinky digital and are pursuing audio nirvana with tubes and big wooden boxes.

I warned them it was an obsession/addiction.....

.....and they thanked me.

But am I just being an archaic fool, or is this for real.

Archived