Gibson Brands Forums

P90 Bridge in a Dual Singlecoil Melody Maker (2007)

lespaulj

Hi,

I love the neck pickup in my MM 2007, but not the bridge. 

I want to put a dogear P90 in the bridge to get that Junior sound. Anyone done it before?

Obviously the wood would need routing underneath and the plastic pickguard altering.

I'm trying to avoid replacing the entire pickguard as I can't seem to get a 2 pickup replacement guard with a single P90 slot. 

I've attached a picture of a dogear casing on top of the current pickup. I think it is probably do-able but seems it might be a difficult job.

There is a Seymour Duncan drop in Singlecoil sized P90 but I can't get it in the UK. And I do wonder how much it will sound P90 esque.

bEf6tFK.jpeg

Q2Ec6EB.jpeg

78B0Ncf.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Do you know anyone in the US who could buy the pickup from SD and mail it to you? 

SD won’t ship to the UK. If Slash wanted one over there they would.

That was my thought. Buy one and use a forwarder. My only concern is it's already $160 for the pickup. If I have to pay import charges and pay someone to send it over I'm looking above $200. This whole guitar cost me £440. I'll look into it though. It would be good not to drill into it.

I've also got saved searches on Reverb + eBay incase they come up anywhere in the world.

Edited by lespaulj
Add

On 4/14/2024 at 1:49 PM, lespaulj said:

Hi,

I love the neck pickup in my MM 2007, but not the bridge. 

I want to put a dogear P90 in the bridge to get that Junior sound. Anyone done it before?

Obviously the wood would need routing underneath and the plastic pickguard altering.

I'm trying to avoid replacing the entire pickguard as I can't seem to get a 2 pickup replacement guard with a single P90 slot. 

I've attached a picture of a dogear casing on top of the current pickup. I think it is probably do-able but seems it might be a difficult job.

There is a Seymour Duncan drop in Singlecoil sized P90 but I can't get it in the UK. And I do wonder how much it will sound P90 esque.

bEf6tFK.jpeg

Q2Ec6EB.jpeg

78B0Ncf.jpeg

One of the Most Underrated Gibson's out there! One of my all time Favorite Guitars.  Good luck with the Pickup.