Gibson Brands Forums

Steve Albini Passed Away

I have many albums, and he has producer credit on the back.

I like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Polly Jean Harvey, Urge Overkill, Helmet, and Superchunck. He produced Guided By Voices, but only 2 songs and he produced Cheap Trick (way past when I listened to them).

54 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I dunno how many people here recognize how big of a loss this is. I wonder who if anybody will carry on electrical audio

HUGE loss! 😢

I don't know if his studio will keep running or not. I hope so. Far too many good studios have closed over the past twenty or thirty years, and it would be a shame to lose yet another. But TBH, Electrical Audio without Steve? Yeah, great rooms, great gear, but the biggest draw of that place, IMO, was Steve, and he was absolutely irreplaceable.

As a recording engineer myself, I have major respect for Steve's work and his philosophy of recording.  

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have many albums, and he has producer credit on the back.

Which he really wasn't a fan of. I think he felt uncomfortable with production credits. He never took any producer points for In Utero. He saw himself more as an engineer, and a facilitator – a philosophy which I also follow. It's the artist's record, or the band's record, and like Steve, I've always felt it's our job to help facilitate their vision, not impose our own will and vision on a recording. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Which he really wasn't a fan of. I think he felt uncomfortable with production credits. He never took any producer points for In Utero. He saw himself more as an engineer, and a facilitator – a philosophy which I also follow. It's the artist's record, or the band's record, and like Steve, I've always felt it's our job to help facilitate their vision, not impose our own will and vision on a recording. 

Right, but most artists without one would be sunk. I look at it like this. Look at a Prince. After he made his own studio, he had no one to tell him - N O. And I think his music suffered due to it. Nirvana should have been told N O a lot on In Utero. But as you stated it’s the bands name on the cover and not the producer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 7:43 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Right, but most artists without one would be sunk. I look at it like this. Look at a Prince. After he made his own studio, he had no one to tell him - N O. And I think his music suffered due to it. Nirvana should have been told N O a lot on In Utero. But as you stated it’s the bands name on the cover and not the producer.

There are some videos on YouTube of Sylvia Massy talking about working with Prince that I thought were really interesting.  

On 5/9/2024 at 7:33 AM, Phil OKeefe said:

HUGE loss! 😢

I don't know if his studio will keep running or not. I hope so. Far too many good studios have closed over the past twenty or thirty years, and it would be a shame to lose yet another. But TBH, Electrical Audio without Steve? Yeah, great rooms, great gear, but the biggest draw of that place, IMO, was Steve, and he was absolutely irreplaceable.

As a recording engineer myself, I have major respect for Steve's work and his philosophy of recording.  

It would be tragic for that studio to close. The design of that studio is amazing. If I were hypothetically some great musician and I had my pick of any studio/engineer to record with, Albini/EA would be my first pick. 

The album that first made me aware of Albini was Surfer Rosa, which coincidentally is one that he has expressed some regrets over. I love that album though. Steve had a great way of making everything sound “right”. Even if it’s like a piezo acoustic it doesn’t really sound natural but fits the song in a cool way. I can’t think of anyone better at recording drums 

• Like 1