Gibson Brands Forums

Deleted

17 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

You should have been here in the days of the loooong surrealistic threads.        

Those were the days, my friend.  The only thing sure to come around is change.

• Like 1

On a serious note, or chord -  to me, even worse than Glue Traps -  the  spring/coil leg traps used for cougar, wolf, and other mammals.  I imagine, like that mouse, after a few days without water - they try to chew their leg off.   I guess the fur trappers 200 years ago didn't have  Game Wardens to worry about. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

On a serious note, or chord -  to me, even worse than Glue Traps -  the  spring/coil leg traps used for cougar, wolf, and other mammals.  I imagine, like that mouse, after a few days without water - they try to chew their leg off.   I guess the fur trappers 200 years ago didn't have  Game Wardens to worry about. 

I agree about hating traps.  We work in deep forests, and one thing we have to worry about are stumbling into lost or unflagged trap lines. In fact our neighbor across the road one year warned us he was letting a trapper on his land to deal with some coyotes,  and told us not to go walk in one part of his woods.  In the olden days, trappers at least actively tended their lines and dispatched and collected the victims quickly.  If they didn’t, they’d lose the catch to other critters who were happy enough to take advantage of the buffet.  Horrible to think about in any case.  

38 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I agree about hating traps.  We work in deep forests, and one thing we have to worry about are stumbling into lost or unflagged trap lines. In fact our neighbor across the road one year warned us he was letting a trapper on his land to deal with some coyotes,  and told us not to go walk in one part of his woods.  In the olden days, trappers at least actively tended their lines and dispatched and collected the victims quickly.  If they didn’t, they’d lose the catch to other critters who were happy enough to take advantage of the buffet.  Horrible to think about in any case.  

We have a "coyote problem" around where I live.    We have plenty of area with lots of food for them, (rodents, turkeys, deer, & more)....but they still invade our yards and go for our pets.

Years ago, my wife spotted one at the top of our waterfall watching our yard....waiting for me to put the dogs out..... I got my trusty Saturday Night Special, (.25 cal) and went after it.   The weeds were tall in that lot at the time, so I walked all the way back to the horse stables and didn't see it.... walking back to the house, it sprinted right in front of me....but I couldn't shoot at it because my house was in the background......as it ran east, I waited for it to clear the solar array, (sure didn't want to put a bullet in one of them!), and it got to the hill, (we call it "The Red Headed Stranger"), and I took a shot......I don't know if I hit it or not, but it went into "Hyper-Drive"....hit the 6' fence and took off up The Red Headed Stranger, (did you know Coyotes are the 3rd fasted land animal in North America?), and I took another shot...still don't know if I hit it.....but......it never came back!

I've had two coyote strikes in my yard, (both baby deer), one on the upper lot....but the worst one was when I took a couple of dogs out at about 5 AM....noticed the spot lights "on" behind our bedroom.... walked over to see what was going on....and a coyote was eating a freshly dead baby deer on our lawn!    Of course, I didn't have my trusty Saturday Night Special on me.... but I chased it off..... took the poor baby to the front, across the street, and called animal control to come pick up the body....but the coyote was watching me, and came and took the deer away before animal control could come.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

We have a "coyote problem" around where I live.    We have plenty of area with lots of food for them, (rodents, turkeys, deer, & more)....but they still invade our yards and go for our pets.

Years ago, my wife spotted one at the top of our waterfall watching our yard....waiting for me to put the dogs out..... I got my trusty Saturday Night Special, (.25 cal) and went after it.   The weeds were tall in that lot at the time, so I walked all the way back to the horse stables and didn't see it.... walking back to the house, it sprinted right in front of me....but I couldn't shoot at it because my house was in the background......as it ran east, I waited for it to clear the solar array, (sure didn't want to put a bullet in one of them!), and it got to the hill, (we call it "The Red Headed Stranger"), and I took a shot......I don't know if I hit it or not, but it went into "Hyper-Drive"....hit the 6' fence and took off up The Red Headed Stranger, (did you know Coyotes are the 3rd fasted land animal in North America?), and I took another shot...still don't know if I hit it.....but......it never came back!

I've had two coyote strikes in my yard, (both baby deer), one on the upper lot....but the worst one was when I took a couple of dogs out at about 5 AM....noticed the spot lights "on" behind our bedroom.... walked over to see what was going on....and a coyote was eating a freshly dead baby deer on our lawn!    Of course, I didn't have my trusty Saturday Night Special on me.... but I chased it off..... took the poor baby to the front, across the street, and called animal control to come pick up the body....but the coyote was watching me, and came and took the deer away before animal control could come.

We have coyotes around us too, but there is enough space and they are pretty people shy.  We leave each other alone.  But we can hear them often, usually in the back fields.  

One night, they were chorusing exceptionally close, sounding like they were in the field right next to us.  Our dog was going ape**** inside.  During these years, before it got buttoned up, we had occasional feral momma cats take up housekeeping in our barn.  This particular spring, there was only one little black kitten left out of the litter (mom and the others had disappeared a few days before) and he was kinda a dummy.  

So, of course I worried he was being stupid, outside attracted by the ruckus instead of hunkered down safely in the barn.  

So I threw on some clothes, grabbed my flashlight and headed down.

Sure enough, there he was sitting smack dab in the middle of the parking area, with coyotes baying and singing in the field, just looking around like, “hey, what’s going on?”

I swooped him up and headed into the office side of the barn where he’d be safely locked in.

Just as the screen was closing behind my foot I heard hysterical barking behind me coming down the drive.  Thinking it was my spouse with the dog to “help,” I expected them to come right through the door.  But the barking ran right by.  

Panicked, I called up to the house terrified the dog had gotten loose and was chasing the intruders.  

I was very relieved to hear, “No, she’s right here with me on the couch. But just a second ago we heard a coyote running down the drive.”

Seems I wasn’t far off what the party was about, and apparently  I got shagged for bogarting somebody’s snack.  

After I got him settled in his safe place, I went back up to the house armed with a heavy garden shovel. 

The next day, his brother showed back up, but still not mom or the others. Fearing the worst, we said nope, that’s it, you’re both condemned to an indoor life with catered kibble and soft cushions.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh and we were woken up at 4 this morning by two bear cubs having a party on our second story deck.  They knocked down  a couple of bird feeders and even got into the metal bird seed can.  The thing has a link chain on it to thwart the squirrels.  They just undid the clasp 😆 I gotta say, they were mighty cute, but It was hard to watch them panic trying to figure out how to climb back down when we busted them.  They made it okay, but we felt bad they got so scared.  We could hear momma grunting below.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Oh and we were woken up at 4 this morning by two bear cubs having a party on our second story deck.  

🐻🐻  Whoooeee, , , sounds like the kick of the day.

Here the show presented itself in a slightly smaller scale - but a premiere it was.

Find the newbie ~ e8AfTgR.jpg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

🐻🐻  Whoooeee, , , sounds like the kick of the day.

Here the show presented itself in a slightly smaller scale - but a premiere it was.

Find the newbie ~ e8AfTgR.jpg

Well that’s a fuzzy new one!

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Gee, that’s a fluffy thing!

You should have seen its beak - long strong and down-curvy. I was balancing on a chair and couldn't stand there forever.

The same evening it jumped out and away though the bush-branches. Pretty curious about where the situation stands when dawn appears, , , within an hour.

First rays of another summer day already light up the street. .   

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1