Gibson Brands Forums

The new Gibson Store ...

greg420blues

Jimminy Glick! I wanna know who Gibson's got in their marketing department .... seriously. Their print ads rock. But they can't determine which merchandise to push out to save their lives.

All I want to be able to buy is an official Gibson Tshirt. Maybe a Gibson stool for my Man-Cave. Instead I get 41 dollar leather bracelets and 82 dollar "Classic Gibson" Tshirts. C'mon guys ... I visited the factory in Memphis this past Thanksgiving and couldn't even buy a Tshirt. This is getting pathetic! Don't make me sport Fender clothes on stage ... please. At least they put out simple "Fender" Tshirts.

This is ridiculous ... why even roll it out and tout it as new. Nothing new, just the same old crap that most of your under-60/blues-jam crowd won't buy. Please ... I mean no offense to the blues community. I play the blues as well ... just the best reference I can muster at this point:

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Lifestyle.aspx?Page=1

I was cautiously optimistic when I heard the Gibson was finally going to release some merchandise. I was hoping for a plain black, short sleeve t-shirt with a small Gibson logo over the breast, or maybe the Gibson logo across the chest in white for about 18-20 bucks. But, I guess the company who brought us the Holy V and the Tribal V decided that in these tough times we need $90 dollar t shirts with leopard print Flying V's on them. It is mindboggling the stupidity of Gibson and their marketing. If you put out a plain black t-shirt with the logo on it, it probably sells 10's of thousands. I cannot see ANYONE buying any of these t-shirts.

WOW.

I am not sure what is going on. It might be they changed merchandise marketing companies.

I bought a plain black Gibson t-shirt for $18 recently at the store here in Nashville, it was a litle more expensive than the others because it was a soft tee with muscle fit so it is nicer than the usual.

For a long time I wanted a t-shirt but their merchandise at the store was subpar especially if you compare to what Fender puts out.

The prices for the merchandise online are crazy high.

Oh yeah $80.00 is too much for a shirt. Not even Fender sells shirts at that price. The only people going to afford those shirts are the cork sniffers who pay full retail price for a guitar at Guitar Center and don't even bat an eye.

OMG, did I just equate Gibson's Marketing and Merchandising with Guitar Center?

• 3 weeks later...

I swung by the Gibson Store and yep, they have the $80 t-shirts and other button shorts with embroided stuff on'em for like $95.

Who wears this stuff? they went all country rinestone, on some of these designs.

I've been looking for some Gibson stickers --- one to put on my guitar case and some for students.

Can't find them anywhere --- though I did have some stores offer me Fender stickers.

I can see two schools of thought behind this:

1) Gibson is known for quality products. Putting out inexpensive shirts, stickers, etc, could be seen as cheapening the name.

2) However.....having affordable shirts, stickers, hats, etc, is a relatively cheap way to advertise. Having people pay YOU to showcase YOUR product's name --- is there any better way to get your product's name out there?

They sell stickers at the store, not a lot of selection but they have them.

On the shirts actually their t-shirts are quite crappy, until a few months ago I had not bought one because of it. They finally had a soft tee with the Gibson logo on the front.

Now they have gone to these premium t-shirts and they are horrible, I mean you could get away with wearing them on stage but walking on the street? some of them are OK but some are far out.

Archived