Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone identify if this is a real Gibson?

Hello everyone,

I bought this guitar at an Antique Store in Glen Rose Texas. Inside were two pieces of paper. I have not been able to find any serial numbers or markings other than the "Gibson" decal on the headstock. The letter seems to indicate correspondence between a previous owner and Gibson discussing a decal for the headstock. Any help and or comments would be appreciated.

This is a link to all the full size photos. I will reduce the size of a few and attach because right now, one photo exceeds the 500kb limit.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q5jJWIzDwHvBZwOfdxN4mKNVvuuMuYkb?usp=sharing

20240608_180512_HDR.jpg

20240608_180214.jpg

20240608_180607.jpg

3 hours ago, slimt said:

Looks like a L1   Was there a Gibson logo installed?    It should have “the Gibson  “

that one is rough. O

I agree. Looks like around a 1928 L1 12 fret that's been stripped and exposed to some heat and string pressure causing the bad neck block top crack.

DSC_0420.jpg

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, signmanmatt said:

Hello everyone,

I bought this guitar at an Antique Store in Glen Rose Texas. Inside were two pieces of paper. I have not been able to find any serial numbers or markings other than the "Gibson" decal on the headstock. The letter seems to indicate correspondence between a previous owner and Gibson discussing a decal for the headstock. Any help and or comments would be appreciated.

This is a link to all the full size photos. I will reduce the size of a few and attach because right now, one photo exceeds the 500kb limit.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q5jJWIzDwHvBZwOfdxN4mKNVvuuMuYkb?usp=sharing

20240608_180512_HDR.jpg

20240608_180214.jpg

20240608_180607.jpg

What would you like for this? 

Sorry in advance, if I am not replying correctly. I am not sure. Thanks to everyone who made a reply. Thank you Dave F! I value you opinion (you have a great reputation and wow!, over 5000 posts since 2011.) Thanks for your input! I was hoping for someone like you to comment. A very intelligent and knowledgeable hypothesis on the damage. The man in the Antique store said the story he was told, was that it was dropped on the neck, but that just seemed like a swag. String tension and heat makes a whole lot more sense, because the neck isn't jammed into the body at all. He did say he bought it at a flea market, lol! Wow huh? To answer Slimt; it's not really mine. I bought it for one of the Jankowski brothers. (Josh) because they are the real guitarists, not me. He said "go for it" and he would pay me back thru a text, while I was in the store. If you can follow the link I posted to all the pics, you can also see both brothers playing with it at 7am this morning before work. Kenny, is in one video, and he just grabbed it, tuned it up and started to jam! Josh came in soon after and they had an impromptu jam session. They said it had a cool factor of about 1000! So, not sure he wants to do anything with it except dig it! He said it's amazing with a slide! It's got a great tone.

1 hour ago, signmanmatt said:

Sorry in advance, if I am not replying correctly. I am not sure. Thanks to everyone who made a reply. Thank you Dave F! I value you opinion (you have a great reputation and wow!, over 5000 posts since 2011.) Thanks for your input! I was hoping for someone like you to comment. A very intelligent and knowledgeable hypothesis on the damage. The man in the Antique store said the story he was told, was that it was dropped on the neck, but that just seemed like a swag. String tension and heat makes a whole lot more sense, because the neck isn't jammed into the body at all. He did say he bought it at a flea market, lol! Wow huh? To answer Slimt; it's not really mine. I bought it for one of the Jankowski brothers. (Josh) because they are the real guitarists, not me. He said "go for it" and he would pay me back thru a text, while I was in the store. If you can follow the link I posted to all the pics, you can also see both brothers playing with it at 7am this morning before work. Kenny, is in one video, and he just grabbed it, tuned it up and started to jam! Josh came in soon after and they had an impromptu jam session. They said it had a cool factor of about 1000! So, not sure he wants to do anything with it except dig it! He said it's amazing with a slide! It's got a great tone.

No problem.   There should be a ink number inside on the block. It could be a 1 to 3 digit set of numbers that would dial in the year 

These guitars were "A" or"H" braced so combined with the 0 size body are a very different beast than the L1s which started showing up in late-1929.  I have heard that early versions of this model consisted of a flattop attached to archtop body.  Never seen one in the flesh though so it is just hearsay.  The pickguard, of course, is also not original as these did not start appearing on the model until 1932 which is the same year the logo was shortened to "Gibson."

The biggest issue I see is that crack running down from the edge of the fingerboard extension to the soundhole.  This generally indicates that the neck block has shifted.  If it has not been stabilized you or whomever you bought it for will need to pay attention to it sooner rather than later.  

Edited by zombywoof