Gibson Brands Forums

With your kind permission (guitar history for cave-dwellers)

Cruznolfart

In the course of reading Tom Moon's 1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die I continue to discover little gems of musical history and information that underline my extremely limited knowledge, in spite of having spent most of my life involved in one way or another with music. Some of these things warrant sharing with others who might have a similar interest. If this doesn't apply to you, I apologize for wasting your time.

"The first great post-Hendrix guitar thang" is how one entry describes an album titled Maggot Brain by Funkadelic. It goes on to say "Every serious music collection needs at least one guitar solo that can stop a party in its tracks. Eddie Hazel's epic journey on the title track of this, the first great Funkadelic record, will do the trick."

This album was recorded in 1971. It dawned on me why I might not recall Eddie Hazel; I was living in North Carolina at the time. 'Nuff said about that. [-X

Hazel was a veteran of George Clinton's various groups and was often described as a "Hendrix disciple". The entry goes on in very high praise of Hazel's playing abilities and musical interpretations, saying that rather than eclipsing Hendrix, he "shows that the great one's inspiration could mutate in countless potent ways."

Obviously, I can't afford to go out and buy every one of the one-thousand recordings in the book but there are some that just seem to beckon. This is one of them.

Who's familiar with Eddie Hazel? I keep thinking I should have known who he was.

The Funkadelics had the coolest' date=' most bad a$$ stage clothing ever. Sounds like a great book!

[/quote']

They were definitely an eyeful! The book is a LOT more enjoyable than I expected it to be. Makes me feel pretty damned ignernt, though, reading about all these fantastic musicians I've never heard of.

That was a cool post.

I too liked Eddie's playing.

Loved the bands clothing too.

He could definitely kick out the Jimi Jams.

Thanks, CM, glad you enjoyed it. I do remember Funkadelic but not specifically Eddie Hazel. Kinda surprised me but, what the hey, I'm old(er). I've probably forgotten more than I ever knew.

I'm amazed by all the great pickers that you never hear of...I've seen and heard thousands of AWESOME musicians that never perform for big crowds or cut albums...The guitar in partcular, is a magical instrument that so many different people with so many different styles can use to make so much cool music.

Archived