Gibson Brands Forums

Classical guitar advice

deepblue

I wanted a classical just to plunk around on, and had no need for a medium-to-high end instrument. I picked up an Alvarez for about $300. Nice on-board electronics, tuner, etc. Well built and playing instrument, it suits my needs very well for the price. But if you think you NEED to pay more, go ahead.

Here's a link to the current similar model:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ALV-RC20SC-LIST

I'd say that if you're not very knowledgeable, then maybe you'd want to start on something less expensive first, to see if it's for you. I picked up a Takamine G128s a while back for $40 at GC during their green tag event. I'd always been thinking about taking the plunge on a really nice one, but I'm glad I started off in the lower end. For me, it's a good travel and beach guitar, but I'd rather play my steel strings most of the time. There are a lot of really rich sounding classical guitars out their in the sub-$500 range that I'd recommend for someone who's unfamiliar with the style.

La Patrie makes a good classical on the cheap. Made in Quebec. Some (if not all) have adjustable truss rods, which is an oddity on classicals. It wouldn't surprise me if they had on board electronics too, or at least as an option. I don't think you could spend over $700 or $800 retail if Robert Godin delivered it to your house himself. It's common to see La Patries for $300 on ebay.

I have a '58 Gibson C-6 with Brazilian Rosewood sides & back and a very checkered past. I love the old girl. It's not a great guitar but it suits me.

La Patrie makes a good classical on the cheap. Made in Quebec. Some (if not all) have adjustable truss rods' date=' which is an oddity on classicals. It wouldn't surprise me if they had on board electronics too, or at least as an option. I don't think you could spend over $700 or $800 retail if Robert Godin delivered it to your house himself. It's common to see La Patries for $300 on ebay.

I have a '58 Gibson C-6 with Brazilian Rosewood sides & back and a very checkered past. I love the old girl. It's not a great guitar but it suits me.[/quote']

I am going to second the vote for La Patrie.

They are home grown for us Canucks and though I have only played one I was really impressed with it.

Check out their line up:

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitars.html

The one I played was the Hybrid CW Light Burst and like i said it was very nice.

Gibson and Epiphone both used to make a Chet Atkins classical that could be plugged in and it was designed for him because he used one in concert.

The problem with them is that there were hard to hear when not plugged in.

Click on this link to see one Epi CEC

Ovation does NOT make a classical guitar they make a "guitar" with nylon strings

Check out Rodriguez... found at GC some are very nice case by case

Also for a decent nylon/classical/crossover try the Breedlove Atlas nylon

excellent or for very cool also try the GODIN nylon models... highly regarded by many pros in Europe and Brazil

Archived