Gibson Brands Forums

How I survived a G.A.S. attack

onewilyfool

I know I should throw another log on the fire, instead of water...BUT: I have come to the belief that, unless you are a professional musician making enough $ to pay for the necessary tools of the trade (which I am certainly not) then you are possibly only feeding your ego by acquiring more than a few high-end guitars that mostly are unplayed.

I agree, everyone should own at least one really good guitar. And, a beater. But after that - I wonder ..? Are they 'investments'? Then, certainly buy and don't play. Probably safer/better than the stockmarket. But if you invested in rare coins, would you carry them around in your pocket? I guess all I'm saying, is be sure before you add another guitar to your collection - that any loved ones who depend on you for financial support, agree 100% with your decision.

I don't mean to suggest that 'feeding your ego' is a bad thing. As long as you aren't overfeeding it to the point of mental obesity. Again, sorry for going against the flow - just wanted to present a divverent viewpoint. Call me a devil's advocate in sheep's clothing. To mix metaphors.

I know I should throw another log on the fire' date=' instead of water...BUT: I have come to the belief that, unless you are a professional musician making enough $ to pay for the necessary tools of the trade (which I am certainly not) then you are possibly only feeding your ego by acquiring more than a few high-end guitars that mostly are unplayed.

I agree, everyone should own at least one really good guitar. And, a beater. But after that - I wonder ..? Are they 'investments'? Then, certainly buy and don't play. Probably safer/better than the stockmarket. But if you invested in rare coins, would you carry them around in your pocket? I guess all I'm saying, is be sure before you add another guitar to your collection - that any loved ones who depend on you for financial support, agree 100% with your decision.

I don't mean to suggest that 'feeding your ego' is a bad thing. As long as you aren't overfeeding it to the point of mental obesity. Again, sorry for going against the flow - just wanted to present a divverent viewpoint. Call me a devil's advocate in sheep's clothing. To mix metaphors. [/quote']

Interesting post. I remember going to a music camp in northern California about 12 years ago, where many of the attendees were obviously well off software designers. I was living in NY at the time, and most of my experience was that your average aspiring guitar player played a beat up instrument, because that was all they could afford. I was kind of taken aback by the number of people that had incredible high end and custom instruments that they literally could barely play. At the time, I had just managed to purchase my first really decent guitar and was feeling incredibly grateful for that.

That said, I think it is kind of a hobby and an appreciation for beautiful instruments, and if you can afford it, then it's really nobody's business, since it isn't hurting anyone (unless you are shortchanging your family financially). But I remember how frustrating it was to be unable to afford a decent instrument back in my days as a music student and struggling musician, when I was practicing and playing a lot.

But hey, some people aren't racecar drivers and have more than a few expensive cars in their driveways. Others collect high end antiques, or dolls or china or whatever.

My cure for GAS is poverty. If I'm broke, I don't shop. If I sell a guitar or two, I'm a shoppin' fool. I don't have the need to amass by itself, but rather to suit the narrow mood of the moment. Which is stupid, since everything electric can be done on the Telecaster and everything acoustic can be done on the SJ. There, I've said it. However, that won't stop me from lusting after a Moserite after listening to the Ventures (post '64 or so of course, if it were pre-'64 I'd be on a Jazzmaster lustfest). See how dangerous it can be?

Archived