Gibson Brands Forums

How I survived a G.A.S. attack

onewilyfool

Now I know I may steam a few "enablers" in here (You know who you are, and I love you all) But I have started to initiate a few rules to rein in my GAS. For those of you who do NOT wish to rein in your GAS, please do not read on........

1. I have now started to limit myself to guitars that I can personally play before buying them (of course this rule excludes the guitar I am having built for myself, which you have to take a few risks on...lol) This, of course removes me from the Evil-bay den of inequity. (sigh of relief) However I still use EBAY for market research, lol.

2. When I go to try out a new guitar, I always bring along my favorite guitar to compare to the one I am contemplating buying. This new guitar has got to be MUCH better than the one I own, or it just ain't worth it. I usally wind up loving my own guitar more than before I went.

3. I always take my friend along with me, to play my own guitar, then the guitar I am considering. Fingerpicking style, strumming, all done in the same way, on each guitar, so I can really compare them unbiased, side by side. I return the favor, when he feels the itch.

4. I do not "duplicate" guitars.....If I have a dreadnaught, I don't look for another dreadnaught (unless, of course, it has 12 frets to the body, comes with a slotted head, and is in a different tonewood than my own dreadnaught, lol) for example, I now have 3 Washburn parlors....how did THAT happen????

Now I know that some of the above writing may not find a "friendly" audiance in the forum, but please look on it as only the ravings of a fellow GAS-aholic in recovery. Thanks for listening...

5.I am contemplating this only......please be understanding......I (and my wife) are considering limiting my herd to a certain number (yet to be determined), so when a new one comes in, an old one goes out. Please note, this is only a THEORETICAL rule, still a work in progress........

Good luck with that sounds like a solid plan, I use a more simplistic set of rules

1. I set so much money aside for guitar collecting, I won't buy guitars unless I have money in the guitar fund.

2. Spacial physics I won't buy buy guitars when it's phsically impossible to get them into my studio, the guest room, the bedroom or the corner of the dining room. it used to just be that would fit in the studio but I kinda bent/broke that rule allready so I expand the area's.

at least I follow rule #1 :)

OWF, I think that's an honest and sincere effort on your part, and I applaud you. But, what's going to happen when you just happen to be in the vicinity of a music store and you didn't plan ahead of time and you don't have your guitar and friend with you. You know how it goes..... you're *there* looking for some irrelevant item when suddenly.... there's the acoustic room, just off to your left. You can see bits and pieces of acoustic guitars through the window. People are wandering in and out and you can smell the humidity as they open the door. Well, it wouldn't hurt to see what stock they have now, would it? you say to yourself. And that's when you turn left and you're unprotected!!

Too Funny! Thats when you need a support group such as 'AGASA' ...Acoustic Guitar Acqusition Syndrome Anonomys...to intervene...call a buddy...and get past the urge. One day at a time!! Heeeeelp! I'm falling off the wagon..........

Something might be funky with my spelling up there, but I,ve had too many drinks and guitars to figure it out...oh well8-[

Retro Rod.....and Retro surfer......thanks...thanks a lot......seeing your "stables" of guitars, has of course given me major GAS.......and Karen......of course the scenario you presented never entered my mind until you mentioned it, now I'm looking for opportunities for when my guitar buddy isn't with me....thanks again. Karen, when I feel weak, I"m going to phone you for support......and retrosurfer......thanks for reminding me....we do have to actually FOLLOW our rules.....lol....This is beginning to look like a bottomless pit.....Thanks for your support, team....

I remember my mom's hopeful voice, 35 years later, after I bought my $150 Yamaha dreadnaught on 48th St in NYC, "So this is the last one, right?"

I stopped telling her about them once I got a job and could buy them myself.

Here's how it'll go for me. I'll guy myself whichever guitar I please at the time once:

A) I'm out of university

:) I have a steady, well-paying job

C) I figure out how to not suck

The first two should take care of themselves eventually, but the third one might be some trouble. I *might* be able to get through it with the 2-3 years I've got left here, but we'll see.

sorry wasn't trying to be a enabler I just know how hard it is. I use to tease my wife that it was not a bad hobby and that it was cheaper than drugs and other women that worked for a while until I said it once to often and the Mrs said I' not sure the drugs and women might be cheaper and they wouldn't take as much room. :-&

It's always good to set a budget and rules for purchase and it would be even better if you could follow them!

To me, the key is to set hard rules as to what you like, or can accept, and not accept. By liking everything, you open yourself up to a severe GAS weakness. For instance, by declaring that I deplore gold hardware, that eliminates certain "high end" models from my GAS list. Next, by being a brand snob, I eliminate about 75% of all guitars from my "must-have" list. Next, by turning my nose to certain non-standard woods and colors, I keep things down to "brass tax", if you will, thereby protecting myself against vulernability to certain "exotic" materials and esoteric nuances. Finally, by arguing these points with people online, I intentionally try to manipulate others into seeing it my way, and even question if they still like the very item that they were bragging about prior to my influence. This cuts back on people showing off and heralding their guitars, which, in turn, helps keep my GAS at bay. Hope this helps !

Nid.....you mean your only method to cure GAS is to entice others to buy the guitar before you do???????!!!!!!! BRILLIANT!!!!! You are the enabler of the month Nid.....lol......that takes the cake.....I think it is time I repost this again...

How do you know you have GAS?

If you enthusiastically talk to non-playing friends about guitars all the time (regardless of their yawns and eye-rolls) You probably have GAS.

If you get excited when you see a guitar positioned in the corner of a movie scene . You probably have GAS.

If you sit close to the TV when a band is playing trying to work out what make and model they are playing, you probably have GAS.

If you have more guitars than your can physically play......you've got GAS

If you have some guitars that you haven't played in over six months....You've got GAS

IF you don't know the exact number of guitars you have, You've got GAS

If you get excited about when someone else buys a guitar in the forum...you've probably got GAS.

IF you spend more time scouring forums, Ebay, Craig's List, than you do PLAYING your guitars.....You've probably got GAS.

If you are sneaking Guitars into the house so that your wife doesn't see them, .....You've probably got GAS.

If you are thinking like this, " You know, I don't have a guitar with (fill in the blank) (Koa, Walnut, Blackwood)......tonewoods on the back and sides yet.....You've got GAS

If you already have a hand built custom designed guitar by a world reknowned Luthier, AND you are still looking for another custom designed guitar, You've got GAS

If you have some guitars under the bed, in the closet, in the attic AND your music room is full already AND you are still looking for another guitar.....You've got GAS

If you explain away all your guitars by saying."I am holding on to these as investments", You've got GAS

If the spouse is saying, "honey, please come to bed" and you'd rather sit up and pore over eBay lisitngs.....You probably have GAS.

If you find yourself short of breath every time you see a UPS truck.....You probably have GAS.

If you've ever caught yourself thinking, "boy, if I wasn't married..."...You probably have GAS.

If you have more than one guitar shop on speed-dial...

If you're offered an early retirement buyout and don't take it because you haven't got all the guitars you want yet...You probably have GAS.

if you haven't got time to play guitar because you're working a second job to pay for guitars...You probably have GAS.

if you read any of these and thought, "THAT'S just normal"....You probably have GAS.

If you are looking at a wooden table top and you are thinking, "Man, that would make a great back and sides to a guitar"......You probably have GAS.

If you have to build an extra wing on your house to accomodate guitar cases.....you probably have Gas

If you can't have house guests, because your guest room is filled with guitars......most likely you have GAS.

If you own TWO identical guitars, so that you can use a different sets of strings on the same guitars to hear the difference.....you definitely have GAS.

If you only buy guitars that all look alike (for example, only ever buying black guitars), so that your wife won't be able to distinguish one from another, missing any new additions......you probably have GAS

Wily wrote: "you mean your only method to cure GAS is to entice others to buy the guitar before you do???????!!!!!!!"

Yep, and it worked too!! $1250 is a VERY nice price for that guitar. Good score for whoever snagged it.

onewilyfool, that list is scary!

I had an apocryphal friend of a friend of a friend once who would only ever buy black guitars, on the basis that his wife wouldn't be able to distinguish one from another and would miss any new additions.

onewilyfool' date=' that list is scary!

I had an apocryphal friend of a friend of a friend once who would only ever buy black guitars, on the basis that his wife wouldn't be able to distinguish one from another and would miss any new additions.[/quote']

Now, there's a plan!! :D/

Do you have to buy a strap to suit every guitar you buy, and take delight in finding the perfect match, even if the search takes ages?

If you (heaven forbid) ever sell a guitar and keep the strap, do you find yourself looking at it thinking, "I wonder which guitar on ebay tonight would make good use of that spare strap?"

If you have a spare set of Schaller stap lock buttons in your drawer, do they bother you?

Archived