Gibson Brands Forums

So What Weird Music Do You Listen To?

So, let me know if anyone else thinks this is "weird". 

At some point in the early 1990's, I was dating a lovely young lady who learned that I liked Star Trek. She was not a "Trekie", but she cared enough about me that she tried to combine my love of music and Star Trek into a Christmas present for me.

Somehow, pre internet shopping, she found "Music from the original television series Soundtracks; Star Trek  The Next Generation volumes one, two, and three.", 3 CD box set. This box set was 99.9% the exact backing musical scores from however many NG episodes they could fit on three compact discs. (.1% was the NG intro theme and end credit score.). When I say, "exact episode score", I'm not kidding. The CD's were simply 20+ minute tracks of instrumental "mood" music, (with out the parts of episodes that were devoid of musical backing.). No dialogue, no sound effects, just the backing score. (including 16+ bar "triple pianissimo" sections originally played behind dialogue or whatever.) 

1. It's weird to listen to, even for a Trekie, (and weirder for a musician).

2. It is weird that someone decided to create this box set, and then to market/sell it.

3. It's weird that anyone would purposefully buy it , and far weirder if they enjoyed listening to it.

Granted, these "scores" are not necessarily "weird music", but it is defiantly weird trying to listen to them in this "stand alone" format. Do people really buy these TV series backing score box sets??? (Save for my ex girlfriend who didn't know any better.) 

41BETDZG9KL.jpg

On 7/10/2024 at 8:36 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw TMBG when stationed in Hawaii. 

Do tell! What was that like and what was the crowd like? 

Did they play, "The statue got me high" or "Birdhouse in your soul"?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, rct said:

Deep House, #55 on the Sirius.  Chill.  I also record such things, badly, but I'm getting better at it.  I just like it, I like the synth challenges, and the ambient guitar challenges.  If it isn't fun I don't want to do it, and after an entire life of Klassik RHWAK, this stuff is fun as hellz.

rct

Brian Eno made some good Ambient music. Tangerine Dream had a run of albums in the mid-70’s that are considered their classics. Stratosphere is my fav by them. Robert Fripp did an entire album of Frippertronics where he fed his guitar into reel to reel decks to get long delays. Every song was named after a year. He did 1984 - 1989

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

So, let me know if anyone else thinks this is "weird". 

At some point in the early 1990's, I was dating a lovely young lady who learned that I liked Star Trek. She was not a "Trekie", but she cared enough about me that she tried to combine my love of music and Star Trek into a Christmas present for me.

Somehow, pre internet shopping, she found "Music from the original television series Soundtracks; Star Trek  The Next Generation volumes one, two, and three.", 3 CD box set. This box set was 99.9% the exact backing musical scores from however many NG episodes they could fit on three compact discs. (.1% was the NG intro theme and end credit score.). When I say, "exact episode score", I'm not kidding. The CD's were simply 20+ minute tracks of instrumental "mood" music, (with out the parts of episodes that were devoid of musical backing.). No dialogue, no sound effects, just the backing score. (including 16+ bar "triple pianissimo" sections originally played behind dialogue or whatever.) 

1. It's weird to listen to, even for a Trekie, (and weirder for a musician).

2. It is weird that someone decided to create this box set, and then to market/sell it.

3. It's weird that anyone would purposefully buy it , and far weirder if they enjoyed listening to it.

Granted, these "scores" are not necessarily "weird music", but it is defiantly weird trying to listen to them in this "stand alone" format. Do people really buy these TV series backing score box sets??? (Save for my ex girlfriend who didn't know any better.) 

41BETDZG9KL.jpg

What’s weird is there are record labels that let Spock and Capt. Kirk record and sing on albums. Wait sing may be giving them to much credit.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)

Here is a weird one. The two 10CC guys, Lol and Kevin left the band in ‘75 or 6 to make the triple album Consequences, to show off their invention The Gizmo. A weird contraption you put on your guitar to make all sorts of noises. I’ve heard the album maybe twice. Enjoy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2024 at 6:03 PM, sparquelito said:

One of my favorites. 

To me Elvis is not weird. That album was different, but weird, nah. Try listening to The Residents  - Duck Stab and tell me that Elvis album is still weird.

Love Elvis C, saw him 3 times. He was the last band I saw before CV19 took over.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper