Gibson Brands Forums

Advice Needed - Banner SJ

duluthdan

Need some advice. Gibson Banner 43/44 SJ has these tuners. Footprint in the finish suggests originally had 3 on a plate tuners - with scalloped ends, perhaps. The tuners now on the guitar look ok, but the peg bushings are loose, and the knobs are getting harder than all get out to turn. Considering replacing with the antique acoustic replca 3 on a plate Klusons. Good move? Stupid move? This is a very much a players guitar, not a collectors item.
Also a picture of the bridgeplate - looks to be rosewood and I can't determine what's going on here. Probably replace with a maple bridgeplate ? Good move? Bad move?
Sorry I can't figure out how to directly post the images - I'm an Apple guy and there's no mouse to float over and grab these pictures.

Some of the Banner SJ did have the individual tuners. I think your tuners may be era correct.

Willi has a thread on UMGF about tuners

Chronology of Kluson tuners used from late 1936 to 1946 on J-35s, L-0/00, J-45/50s, LGs, SJs - The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (umgf.com)

Here's your 2 picts and one from the thread that shows your tuners on a '43 SJ

If you want a set of vintage 3 on a plate, let me know and I'll fix you up.

QH1oOhI.jpeg

cnk7iA9.jpeg

888487_e26a5db1d1f0064f222ccfc7e6f498f0_

Edited by Dave F

The 'newer 42 Banner SJ I got a few years ago came with Kluson repos on it. I did not care for them and put a set of Waverly's on it.  I replaced the tuners on my '42 LG1 with Stewmac Golden Age. I have quite a few sets of vintage tuners if it needs to go back to original.

CSRSSJ42VS_hs_back.png?w=1200&h=1200

Tiger stripe

42 LG1

52649845278_e99123b7ec_b.jpg

Edited by Dave F

2 hours ago, duluthdan said:
Need some advice. Gibson Banner 43/44 SJ has these tuners. Footprint in the finish suggests originally had 3 on a plate tuners - with scalloped ends, perhaps. The tuners now on the guitar look ok, but the peg bushings are loose, and the knobs are getting harder than all get out to turn. Considering replacing with the antique acoustic replca 3 on a plate Klusons. Good move? Stupid move? This is a very much a players guitar, not a collectors item.
Also a picture of the bridgeplate - looks to be rosewood and I can't determine what's going on here. Probably replace with a maple bridgeplate ? Good move? Bad move?
Sorry I can't figure out how to directly post the images - I'm an Apple guy and there's no mouse to float over and grab these pictures.

for a mac/iPad: On Imgur, click on your profile up in the upper right corner.  open the “images” link.  Click the thumbnail of  the image you want to grab to open the image. Then click copy on the “ direct link” choice that opens in the list to the side of the pic. It should flash green to show you copied. Then paste it in your post here.  

7yGAeRx.jpg

As I posted on Facebook, Dan, as best I know, all SJs left the factory with individual, not 3-on-a-plate, tuners. (But Gibson being Gibson ...)  So, maybe a tuner replacement and then return to the original configuration?

I'd clean and lube the things first. If that doesn't fix the problem, then replacing makes great sense. Alas, the Antiques Acoustics guys (Willi Henkes and Rudie Blazer) don't appear to be making tuners any more.

As for that giant rosewood replacement bridgeplate, if the guitar sounds good, I'd leave it alone. Otherwise, a properly sized, maple bridgeplate would be a good move.