Gibson Brands Forums

SG GT

Silverbursted

If you have one, I would sure like to know what you think of it. The local GC's don't have one in stock, but will be happy to order one for me. It seems like it has many of the features I like, i.e. 60s neck, 490/498 PUs and most importantly lighter than my LP for traveling. It looks pretty stout.

I don't own one but I've played one before. It's just a '61 body & neck with a few mods. The only thing I found useful was the coil-tapped pickups but I would have prefered the '57 Classics over the 490R & 498T combo. The so-called "Hood Scoop" tail piece just gets in the way and would be an added burden when changeing strings. The one I played was the Daytona Blue color. I liked the color but the stripes make it look a little cheap. The ebony fretboard was a nice touch and the tuners are solid. It sounds pretty much like an SG standard but I was alittle put off by the tone when using the coil-taps. I can't really put my finger on it but it just wasn't a true single coil sound.

It's definetly a nice guitar but I think Gibson put a little more show than go in this one. I would think that an SG Standard or '61 Reissue with the coil-taps would be abetter seller.

Space Pup, interesting take. It really is a show piece, and would probably need to get a GT 40 or a Shelby to go with it. The pups are the same that come on the SG Standard, but the SG-3 comes with the 57s. Certainly worth looking into. BTW the rear scoop is supposed to be able to be removed easily. How was the finish? Is it a Nitro finish like the LP, or just a paint job that looks decent from across the room?

Wow, good point about the bolt holes. I had not seen any picks of the back. I still think it is a way cool ax. Thundergod posted some real nice pics on a different thread, and I am quite sure I am going to get one (hood scoop or not). I still like all of the other features for a travel guitar.

Space Pup,

I see you have a 61 SG Reissue. Did you have that before you looked at the GT or while you were considering the RI. I am also considering the 61 RI and the Angus Young, both because of the pick ups, not so sure if I want the 490/498 that comes on the Standard and the GT. Just curious the reasons you were looking at the GT. Thanks.

I had gotten the '61 Reissue about 2 months before I saw the GT. Everytime I go into a guitar shop I have a bad habit of trying out every guitar I've never played before, even if I have no real interest in it. As I remember, the Gt only lasted abut two weeks before someone took it home. I tried the SG Standard too but just liked the tone of '57 classic pickups better.

I'm going through a tough decision, because the main reason I am looking at the SG is as a travel axe. The features on the GT are very appealing for that role, but the more I hear from this forum, the more I am leaning toward the 57 Classics. But then the Angus Young pops up. Now you see my dilemma. Of course I could get the GT and replace the pups. God this sucks, way too many great guitars to choose from.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just joined the forum here and was hunting down threads on my guitars... Had to post up on the SG GT! I got it from my wife for Christmas 2 years ago; she was with me in a guitar store when I saw it and witnessed my reaction, and went back and picked it up later! yeah, I as a good boy that year apparently.

For me, it is sex on a stick. Having played guitar since I was 9, a Gibson was always the ultimate dream for me. The guys I grew up playing with, you were either a Gibson guy or a Fender guy, even though we were all playing cheap knockoff guitars. For me it was Gibson, and then the ultimate badass Gibson was an SG. When I saw the GT, it seemed like the candy-coated, stars-in-your eyes realization of what that guitar looked like in my head when I was a kid, and having it now, I seriously smile like a little kid every time I pick it up. It plays like an absolute dream, and sounds incredible. The mods and special touches make it very cool. I couldn't be happier with it!

ele1-medium.jpg

It was the right guitar for me, and it might be the right guitar for you. Guitars for me are playable art, and they must have an emotional connection in order to pull music out of you. This one does, and I've done stuff on it every time I pick it up that I would never have thought myself capable of. I'm not a great player, but this guitar makes me feel great playing it.

Thanks for listening!

gb

Archived