Gibson Brands Forums

Should I buy?

led head

Nice. No frills (no binding, no figuring on the top, silk screen headstock logo). Is that what interests you? Or is it the pup combo: 498T-bridge/490R-neck? If it's got what you want, plays great and you connect, go for it.

The 490/498 pup combo is good...a little on the hot side but very versatile if you're looking for that from blues to hard rock. Great aggressive tone.

Neck isn't as comfortable as a bound neck but major difference in price and plenty of competing guitars are not bound at that price. So a Studio is a great value there.

Very nice instruments visually -who can beat the appearance of a Les Paul??

I've had several Studios and loved'em all - just moved on to Standards.

I would sit down with every guitar you can and play them through an amp like yours, then decide. EVERY GUITAR YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON!!!!! not just gibson. I have a les paul studio, and love it! but don't box yourself into one guitar. even in the gibson line the sg std is cheap with the recent price drop, bound neck, inlay head stock, awesome looks, and same pickups as the lp studio.

I would sit down with every guitar you can and play them through an amp like yours' date=' then decide. EVERY GUITAR YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON!!!!! not just gibson. I have a les paul studio, and love it! but don't box yourself into one guitar. even in the gibson line the sg std is cheap with the recent price drop, bound neck, inlay head stock, awesome looks, and same pickups as the lp studio.[/quote']

That's really good advice--just play dozens and dozens of every guitar you can get your hands on. The studio's a good axe, certainly, but there are a lot of good guitars and there may be one you like better--or the studio might win out in the comparison, too. Go with what feels and sounds best in your price range.

Archived