Gibson Brands Forums

Why not to buy from Ebay

gibtex5

this is my favorite part of the description:

put a little love and work into this and have a guitar that will provide enjoyment for life

Just a little, mind you.

What the heck happened to this anyway? Fell in a vat of paint thinner??

18mar08%20011.jpg

I suppose the interesting bit of this is that it sold for $600!

I hope that whomever bought it might read the forum and show us a pic when it's finished.

Strangr thing to do though and most interestingly how did the thing escape Bozeman.

Was talking to a guy the other day about my 79 J45 and he said that he worked for Gibson at that time and the quality was not so good as today and they did throw seconds out ( you guessed it mine is one!)

But in todays quality how did the git escape?

BR

John

Somewhere there is a mid 70s J-40 with a fractured headstock, a piece of the back missing, and a buckled bridge that I WILL buy, mend, and then do something insane with, like mint green with black binding, or purple metalflake with double white pearl pickguards, but not for no $600. Whew! $600 would buy me a good LG-0, which I'm missing. (Actually it should buy me TWO LG-0s, but the market is crazy.)

Something doesn't add up on this guitar though... pearl inlay on the headstock with crown, yet dot inlay and no binding on the neck. And black binding on the body? At first I thought it might have been one of the Nashville Dumpster models that showed up on ebay a few years back but it has the regular Gibson dovetail headblock. All Nashville acoustics and many early Bozeman acoustics would have had the more elaborate style.

Dunno. Glad it's not my money.

Edit: Unless.... At Music Villa there was a Gibson carcass, likely to show construction to potential customers. Suppose this is one of those carcasses? It could have been given to a dealer to display, thereby explaining it's obvious "unfinished" state.

Yet another edit: Here's the one at MV:

29l1stj.jpg

Edit: Unless.... At Music Villa there was a Gibson carcass, likely to show construction to potential customers. Suppose this is one of those carcasses? It could have been given to a dealer to display, thereby explaining it's obvious "unfinished" state.

I didn't think of that. That would make sense. Gibson's not going to be happy to find out one of their dealers sold this on e-bay, though, if that's what happened.

{snip} then do something insane with' date=' like mint green with black binding, or purple metalflake with double white pearl pickguards, {snip}[/quote']

Hey! What's so insane about purple metalflake, with double white peal pickguards I ask you?

Although that would be one insanely cool looking acoustic!

Hell you could just add robotic tuning and I bet Gibson would add it to their purple robotic LP and SG line.

It would fit right in with these two.

Archived