Gibson Brands Forums

Ghost notes

Giant

Folks I recently got a valve combo that sounds great clean but when I set the preamp higher, no matter the power amp's volume, I get this terribly awful ghost notes.

It only happens on the G and B strings on any of my guitars, it does not happen with my other amps either solid state or valve driven, it gets worst when bending and it gets completely unbearable when bending both strings at once which I do a lot.

Looking at posts here and all over the net I found thats a common problem with certain amps, does any of you know what can I do asido from sending it back the way it came?

Sounds like a tube problem. Generally it is a preamp tube that has gone "microphonic". Certain frequencies will cause a disturbance within the tube and the sound goes completely haywire.

Replacing tubes is never cheap, so to confirm the problem try swapping tubes out, one at a time, from another amp until you find the culprit. You can also sometimes find a bad tube by lightly tapping on them (power on, volume up), and listen for rattles, static, etc.

Sheesh - some guy who thinks he's a giant posts about ghost notes on his valve combo.

I crack a joke about 'who yah gonna call..... Ghostbusters'.

(I'll explain for maximum clarity - ghost notes -v- Ghostbusters, see the silly, inapropriate link, it's a joke)

Next, the old bill are accusing me of being drunk.

OK officer - nope, stone cold sober and not stoned either. Finger - nose, finger - nose. Stands on one foot, counts backwards 100 to 0, heel-toe-heel-toe straight line. Here's my licence, insurance, MoT.

Humph. Yah have to be pissed to crack a joke around here?:-

It is most likely your filter caps that cause this. It is a known problem. Take her to a good tech.

funny how Eye was just joking about that in the ghost thread.

And it was that joke you made what made me ask here (I was going to ask in some amp forum or something like that but after reading what you posted I though hey, what the hell lets ask here).

Should that be an expensive fix?

Its anew amp, don't know if you will know the brand but it's one of those clones that is said to be better than the original and guiding by the cost it should be. It does not get in the way too much anyway, I play only clean.

Its anew amp' date=' don't know if you will know the brand but it's one of those clones that is said to be better than the original and guiding by the cost it should be. It does not get in the way too much anyway, I play only clean.[/quote']

Take it back. It will only get worse.

Archived