Gibson Brands Forums

Dentures and singing

Cruznolfart

Milod mentioned in an earlier post that he'd be having some dentures before long and it reminded me of something I've wondered about for some time. The time will come when I will have to do the same thing and I've always wondered what, if any, effect it might have upon my singing. Any picker/singers in here that have that experience?

I guess I could do the Richie Havens thing and just leave 'em out. =D>

John Frusciante has dentures (as a result of drug use in the 90s) and he sings fine. I do see some drooling during live performances, but so what. If you look on YouTube for live performances from when he first came back from the dead and was doing shows for his To Record Water album, it sounds like he has some cotton balls in his mouth. Now everything sounds normal. Maybe there is an adjustment period?

Yeah I got that to look forward too pretty soon as well,

Good job I dont sing to much!

Im havin custom mades so hope they will fit better than normal NHS ones!

They wanna fit at a grand a set and Iv'e gotta have 2 sets!

My teeth are gonna be the same as what my guitar cost!

Was contemplating screw in ones 'they wratchet teeth on to your jaw',

then they told my 2k a tooth and twenty k for teeth is a it excessive i think!

It's not a problem unless your singing tends toward the screaming heavy metal sort of stuff. That could knock them loose. I've noticed that Richie Havens sings with teeth these days and seems to do it without any problem.

ya Rockin' how you doing not smoking are you don't want to get dry socket.

Yeah I got warned about that but it's 'kin hard not to!

Have had a couple and been playing a lot more geetar to stop myself!

Mouth feels real strange today,

cant talk properly.

Think I drank a pint of blood in my sleep last night,

was covered this morning, has stopped now though!

Nice life init

Lol ;o)

Yeah I got warned about that but it's 'kin hard not to!

Have had a couple and been playing a lot more geetar to stop myself!

Mouth feels real strange today' date='

cant talk properly.

Think I drank a pint of blood in my sleep last night,

was covered this morning, has stopped now though!

Nice life init

Lol ;o)

[/quote']

Eye suffered hard one night at a Melvin's show. Eye got the dry socket and man it sucks.

nope Eye wasn't smoking just had allergies and was mouth breathing while sleeping. They didn't do anything Eye just had to suffer through it and let it heal. Eye would sleep with a wet wash cloth over my mouth and a humidifier in my room after that.

nope Eye wasn't smoking just had allergies and was mouth breathing while sleeping. They didn't do anything Eye just had to suffer through it and let it heal. Eye would sleep with a wet wash cloth over my mouth and a humidifier in my room after that.

OMFG

Ok now tho?

For the best tone' date=' be sure to get vintage dentures. George Washington got his incredible tone because his were made from solid wood and weren't weight relieved.

[/quote']

That's keeping it guitar related.

Yeah I got that to look forward too pretty soon as well' date='

Good job I dont sing to much!

Im havin custom mades so hope they will fit better than normal NHS ones!

They wanna fit at a grand a set and Iv'e gotta have 2 sets!

My teeth are gonna be the same as what my guitar cost!

Was contemplating screw in ones 'they wratchet teeth on to your jaw',

then they told my 2k a tooth and twenty k for teeth is a it excessive i think!

[/quote']

I'll be having customs made as well, in fact have taken the impressions long ago. I've known for some time I wouldn't be keeping my teeth but at least it's been a slow process. It'll be somewhere in the $5K neighborhood when done, which isn't terrible for teeth if they work. I spent a damn sight more than that trying to save 'em.

It's not a problem unless your singing tends toward the screaming heavy metal sort of stuff. That could knock them loose. I've noticed that Richie Havens sings with teeth these days and seems to do it without any problem.

LOL! I'm from your generation, Grampa, I don't do metal, heavy or otherwise. =P~ Nope, I'm a classic Rock and Blues kinda guy but I was wondering about lisping, whistling, sibilance...and, I suppose, coming loose. Interesting to hear about Havens...I wonder what predicated his change of habit. Been quite a long time since I've seen him live.

I'll be having customs made as well' date=' in fact have taken the impressions long ago. I've known for some time I wouldn't be keeping my teeth but at least it's been a slow process. It'll be somewhere in the $5K neighborhood when done, which isn't terrible for teeth if they work. I spent a damn sight more than that trying to save 'em.[/quote']

Without teeth you'd be pretty f**ked so whatever it costs has got to be worth it.

I just wish i'd gotten mine sorted before they started messing with my health.

For the best tone' date=' be sure to get vintage dentures. George Washington got his incredible tone because his were made from solid wood and weren't weight relieved.

[/quote']

THIS is the reason I keep coming here! You just can't find this kind of information anywhere else! =P~

John Frusciante has dentures (as a result of drug use in the 90s) and he sings fine. I do see some drooling during live performances' date=' but so what. If you look on YouTube for live performances from when he first came back from the dead and was doing shows for his To Record Water album, it sounds like he has some cotton balls in his mouth. Now everything sounds normal. Maybe there is an adjustment period?[/quote']

Thanks for the reference, evol, although the thought of drooling isn't all that attractive. LOL! To be honest, there are probably more than a few acquaintances who expected it of me long ago. =P~ Doesn't sound like it's going to be anything insurmountable.

Archived