Gibson Brands Forums

Special to Classic Conversion

TinFish

Hey guys, I have been trying to sell my SG Special for about a month and I can't even get $600 w/hard shell case.

SGSpecial.jpg

Now that Gibson has slashed prices on their SG's I'd be lucky to get $500 for it and at that amount it just doesn't seem worth it to me. So What I have decided is that instead of selling it to buy a Standard, I am going to put p-90's in it and make it a Classic minus the neck binding. I think having a guitar with p-90's and my 61 RI will give me more tonal versatility and a black classic would look pretty sweet. I also need to replace the saddles on it, so I have a few questions for those who have done this before or those who know how.

I know I am going to need a couple of p-90's(I assume the dog ear style(I don't understand how the other style is mounted)) a new pick guard and that I'll need to do some minimal routing to accommodate the new pickups.

So here are the questions I have:

1. Am I correct bout the "dog ear" style?

2. Where can a I get a nice looking pick guard?

3. Do the Nashville style saddles fit an ABR-1 bridge or do I need to buy the entire ABR-1 bridge assembly?

4. Does Anyone know where I could get some of the little metal volume/tone indicators, like those found on the 61 RI, I just think they are nice and would like to put some on my new Classic.

5. Am I crazy? Should I just try and get $500 for my SG and invest another $500 in a new Classic?

To me it makes the most sense to just convert my Special since I've had it for 10 years and I am comfortable with it and know it plays really nicely. The conversion would only cost me about $250 (Can.) and then I have unique black Classic with a HS case... I dunno... like I said it seems to make the most sense to me.

Thanks for all your advice.

I think you should convert it. If you like the way it plays you will LOVE it when its customized and sounds like you want it to.

The dog ears are not found in SG Classics. THey have regular P-90s.

You could get a different pickguard and widen the pickup routing holes to put in traditional P-90s.

Or you could put in the SD Phat Cats which are P-90s that fit in a humbucker-sized spot.

Here's the Phat Cat.

Seymour Duncan also has these Pickups called P-Rails which have a P-90 and a hot rail wired together. The only downside is you would have to sacrifice a knob or drill a hole for a switch. They are really cool and sound awesome. I have one with a 3-way switch so I can select the P-90, the hot rail, or both pickups for a really cool PAF sound because the coils are unevenly wound. One cool thing about Specials and Standards is that you could have the switch put on the pickguard so you wouldn't have holes in your wood.

Here's the P-Rail.

You can get everything you need to customize the appearance of the guitar at www.wdmusic.com.

I really think that by customizing your guitar you will get a unique instrument that has sentimental value. That's mojo right there.

Good luck.

No' date=' it would not be a Classic. It would be a Special with P90's. The Classic does not have dog ears. Why don't you keep it as is and buy a Classic?[/quote']

Thanks for your insight, I am aware it would not literally turn into a Classic.

I don't feel like I need more than 2 electric guitars though.

I think you should convert it. If you like the way it plays you will LOVE it when its customized and sounds like you want it to.

The dog ears are not found in SG Classics. THey have regular P-90s.

You could get a different pickguard and widen the pickup routing holes to put in traditional P-90s.

Or you could put in the SD Phat Cats which are P-90s that fit in a humbucker-sized spot.

Here's the Phat Cat.

Seymour Duncan also has these Pickups called P-Rails which have a P-90 and a hot rail wired together. The only downside is you would have to sacrifice a knob or drill a hole for a switch. They are really cool and sound awesome. I have one with a 3-way switch so I can select the P-90' date=' the hot rail, or both pickups for a really cool PAF sound because the coils are unevenly wound. One cool thing about Specials and Standards is that you could have the switch put on the pickguard so you wouldn't have holes in your wood.

Here's the P-Rail.

You can get everything you need to customize the appearance of the guitar at www.wdmusic.com.

I really think that by customizing your guitar you will get a unique instrument that has sentimental value. That's mojo right there.

Good luck.[/quote']

Thanks for the advice I'd like to go with actual p-90's and get a pick guard to fit them because I think it would look nice. I am curious how you mount the soap bar style p-90's if you know?

Go for it!!!

I have a Gibson V that I'm going to put P90s into. I recently ordered two pickguards from these guys...

http://www.terrapinguitars.com/

I just looked and didn't notice an SG Special option, but when I wanted one for my GOTW Nashville Junior, I spent the buck and a half to phone them and talked to the owner. He has quite a few templates that may not be listed on the site. The service was top notch, and although I haven't mounted them yet, I did a test fit and they're bang-on.

As far as mounting them, there are a couple of options. On most P90 equipped solidbodies, you'll notice the two extra screws between the A and D strings and also the G and B strings. These screws go right into the back of the body, or sometimes there will be a treaded insert in the back that they screw into. There's also usually something like a piece of foam underneath to keep the pickup from flopping around.

If you're installing them on a guitar with a pickguard, you can mount them similar to a humbucker with a screw at each end. If you look at an SG Classic, you'll notice this is how they're mounted (although I've never opened mine up to see what they screw into).

I don't like the idea of screwing through the back of my V, so I'm going with something like this...

P90_bracket3.JPG

You can buy them here, but I'm just going to make something similar out of wood.

You could buy the standard 498 pick up for what c.$80??, have the neck bound (uk price conversion) $100 and buy a standard truss rod cover, c$20 and hey presto $200 maximum and the conversion is complete.

There is a place near me that says they can upgrade the fret board markers from dots to the mother of pearl looking ones too...I haven't seen this for myself, but I am sure there is somewhere near you that could do that!

SG Special-SG Standard-Same guitar with same quality of wood on neck and body with cosmetic differences and pick up differences.

Les Paul Studio-Les Paul Standard (up to 2008), same Guitar except one has bound body and neck and the other has Busrtbucker humbuckers.

That is a lot of $$$$ more for cosmetic differences in my opinion.

Matt

I know' date=' but what [i']you[/i] need is an SG Special pickguard with P90 pickup openings. The screw holes in the Classic might not match up.

Yeah, I wasn't sure. I emailed Terrapin Guitars to ask if the holes would line up.

You could buy the standard 498 pick up for what c.$80??' date=' have the neck bound (uk price conversion) $100 and buy a standard truss rod cover, c$20 and hey presto $200 maximum and the conversion is complete.

There is a place near me that says they can upgrade the fret board markers from dots to the mother of pearl looking ones too...I haven't seen this for myself, but I am sure there is somewhere near you that could do that!

[u']SG Special-SG Standard[/u]-Same guitar with same quality of wood on neck and body with cosmetic differences and pick up differences.

Les Paul Studio-Les Paul Standard (up to 2008), same Guitar except one has bound body and neck and the other has Busrtbucker humbuckers.

That is a lot of $$$$ more for cosmetic differences in my opinion.

Matt

Im sorry but what the hell does that have to do with this topic?

Im sorry but what the hell does that have to do with this topic?

Originally the poster said he wanted a standard. My posts addressed the transformation possibility from a special to a standard =P~

Comprendez?

Matt

Nashville and ABR-1 posts are different size/spacing. Check out the specs here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges' date='_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/1/ABR-1_Tune-o-matic_Bridges_and_Parts/Specs.html#details

and

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/1/Nashville_Tune-o-matic_Bridges_and_Parts/Specs.html#details

If the current bridge works fine, you're better off to leave it alone.[/quote']

Thanks for the info Cavpolt. I was on musiciansfriend.com and they only had a ABR-1 bridge or Nashville saddles. I noticed on Gibson's site that they sell ABR-1 saddles though, so I should be able to get my local Gibson Dealer to order some in.

The saddles are really worn out, I think it would be nice to replace them while I am tinkering.

If changing the look is part of what you are after then have at it, with full size P-90 conversion. But if what you are after is the tone of a P90 pickup, there area number P90 pickups that are standard humbucker sized besides the Phat Cat. Gibson makes one, Vintage Vibe, GFS and a few others. This would be way easier and require about 30 minutes worth of work if can solder (simple pickup change). No routing , pickguard change etc. I have a set of Vintage Vibe HB sized P90 in an SG and it sounds awesome. Comes with ceramic and alnicoII mags that you can switch yourself in a few minutes (once out of the guitar). Even with the ceramic mags they are a little lower output them my friends stock Classic, but have a little more chimey vintage thing going on. If you have him overwind them a bit they would be very close the the Gibson P90 as the level and mids would come up. Pete is a great guy to deal with. Tell him what you are after and he will get you hooked up. Good prices too.

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/pickup_sc.html

But where did the les pauls come in?

It was a comparison of the cosmetic upgrades that each respective model (a SG and Les Paul) has to have to make it a standard =D>

I bit my tongue when you said what the hell had it go to do with the post etc. I appreciate things come across rudely or 'arsey' sometimes on the internet that are not meant to.

Maybe you should give suggestions the benefit of the doubt in the future?

Not to worry anyway, shall we try and move on now? :) :- :-

Matt

Yea it'll look just like that minus the white binding on the neck

Damn, I thought the binding would appear once the pickups went in.

Seriously though I do love the binding on my 61 but my hands know this neck well.

Archived