Gibson Brands Forums

Does Gibson make Acoustic Basses?

Basshole

I don't think they've ever made acoustic basses like others made nowadays (or in recent decades). Guild made one in the 80s and the Grandaddy was the Earthwood back in the 70s. They made semi-hollow ones like the EB-2 but I don't think that's what you're referring to.

I'm not saying that they don't, but I've never seen one. Although, many years ago, I saw Lyle Lovett perform on a late night TV show. It was an acoustic number and the bass player did have an acoustic bass with the Gibson logo on it. Maybe a special order?

Gibson used to make something called a mando bass, which was a bit like a huge mandolin.

2883Gibsonmandobassportrait.jpg

Loar_Shipp_ensemble.JPG

I think at one time the parent company of Gibson owned a company that made basses, too, but they haven't made anything like that for a long time, to my knowledge.

Gibson used to make something called a mando bass' date=' which was a bit like a huge mandolin.

[img']http://www.usd.edu/smm/PluckedStrings/Mandolins/Gibson/2883/2883Gibsonmandobassportrait.jpg[/img]

Loar_Shipp_ensemble.JPG

I think at one time the parent company of Gibson owned a company that made basses, too, but they haven't made anything like that for a long time, to my knowledge.

Technically, not a part of the 'mandolin' family, other than body shape. It only has four single course strings unlike the double coursed mandolins. They also made a mandocello, single course as well, not sure where the cello and bass part ways.

After old-man Epi died, the Strathopulo kids were on the outs with each other and needed cash, they sold their Epiphone line of stand-up acoustic basses... the big violin looking things... to Gibson. When the trucks with the tooling arrived at the Gibson factory, they discovered, they had purchased ALL the Epiphone tooling and parts for everything from mandolins to guit tars and banjos. The Stathopoulo family was out of the instrument making business. The rest is history.

Archived