Gibson Brands Forums

Memorial Day - The Tomb of the Unknowns

NeoConMan

The Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery is dedicated to American service members who perished in war and were unidentified.

On Memorial Day in 1921, the casket of an unknown soldier was exhumed from a World War I American cemetery in France and later reinterred beneath the Tomb of the Unknowns sarcophagus at Arlington.

In 1958, unknown service members of World War II and the Korean War were interred.

An unknown service member from the Vietnam War was interred in 1984, but DNA testing identified the remains in 1998 and they were removed from the crypt for burial by the service member's family.

Since 1937, the Tomb of the Unknowns has been guarded continuously — 24 hours a day, seven days a week — by a special platoon from the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment.

Since 1776, some 40 million American men and women have answered the call to duty, and more than 1 million have sacrificed their lives for their country. On Monday, Americans from coast to coast will honor the sacrifices of our nation's service members during the annual observation of Memorial Day.

It is a day for everyone to acknowledge and honour those who answered the call to arms and to duty and did not make it home alive. RIP you warriors who give us our freedoms. Here in Canada we honour those on November 11, although one can visit cenotaphs in every city and almost every town across Canada anytime to pay your respects.

When you get a chance to, please do so - on any occassion not just Memorial/Rememberance Day.

Brian

Here in Canada we honour those on November 11

Yeah' date=' what was once Armistice Day has evolved somewhat.

Originally that was to mark the end of the [b']Great War[/b], the War to End All Wars, World War One.

American politicians can't resist monkeying with even stuff like that, it eventually became Veteran's Day for us.

I understand, and respect, our fallen heroes of wars past. But what about the "heroes" that came home? Being the son of a very high ranking military officer of WWII, I really get tired of all the hoopla and BS for the "grunts". Every History Channel or PBS documentary you see never talks about the "officers", the people that laid out , and executed the plans that that kept many of us from speaking German today.

The fact that Memorial Day is to honor the fallen is fine, but don't for get the standing.

I understand' date=' and respect, our fallen heroes of wars past. But what about the "heroes" that came home? Being the son of a very high ranking military officer of WWII, I really get tired of all the hoopla and BS for the "grunts". Every History Channel or PBS documentary you see never talks about the "officers", the people that laid out , and executed the plans that that kept many of us from speaking German today.

The fact that Memorial Day is to honor the fallen is fine, but don't for get the standing.[/quote']

When i was signing up for the Marine Corps they gave me a DVD on the training the Officers get and how much responsibility is on their shoulders and on that day i gained the up most respect for the Officers in the Military especially since they have to go through college.

It takes allot of courage to actually go to college just to sign up for the Military.

Archived