Gibson Brands Forums

so what kind of les paul is this ....i heard from the gibson website its a prototype

{5150} rhoads

I did find this:

Les Paul KM (“Kalamazoo Model”)

The Les Paul KM model was made in the Kalamazoo plant in 1979, supposedly at the request of a southern sales district, according to one account (this history is refuted by another account). The guitar was intended be a sunburst Les Paul that more closely approximated ’59 Standard specs. The result, the KM model, is a nice guitar but does not come close to a ’59 reissue. The guitar has two exposed coil, double cream colored T-top humbuckers, speed knobs, large black side dot markers, a Nashville bridge, stop tailpiece, Grover tuners, wide binding in the cutaway, brown backplates, and “Les Paul K.M.” engraved on the truss rod cover. The guitar has an unusually wide headstock and a volute and three piece mahogany neck. The Gibson logo on the headstock has a closed “b” and “o” and no dot above the “i”. The first run had a “Custom Made” plaque that was either left loose in the case or mounted below the tailpiece. The guitar came in antique sunburst, natural, or cherry sunburst finish. Many examples of this model in bright cherry sunburst or dark sunburst have been available, many with plain tops. It is reported that some flametops were made, such as the example in the photo below, many of which were shipped to Japan. A total of approximately 1,500 Les Paul KMs were made. The example below has a nice flametop and a very dark cherryburst finish, and almost looks like a darkburst in photos. It weighs 9 lbs. 10 oz., and is a very nice playing guitar.

In speaking with Timm Kummer, who worked for Guitar Trader in the early 80’s, when the Les Paul KM model was introduced it was so far off from ’59 specs that it prompted his boss, Dave DeForrest, to identify specifications for the order for the Guitar Trader Reissue Les Paul from Gibson, which took until 1982 to produce.

kmtrc_t.jpg

kmmodel_t.jpg

I did find this:

Les Paul KM (“Kalamazoo Model”)

The Les Paul KM model was made in the Kalamazoo plant in 1979, supposedly at the request of a southern sales district, according to one account (this history is refuted by another account). The guitar was intended be a sunburst Les Paul that more closely approximated ’59 Standard specs. The result, the KM model, is a nice guitar but does not come close to a ’59 reissue. The guitar has two exposed coil, double cream colored T-top humbuckers, speed knobs, large black side dot markers, a Nashville bridge, stop tailpiece, Grover tuners, wide binding in the cutaway, brown backplates, and “Les Paul K.M.” engraved on the truss rod cover. The guitar has an unusually wide headstock and a volute and three piece mahogany neck. The Gibson logo on the headstock has a closed “b” and “o” and no dot above the “i”. The first run had a “Custom Made” plaque that was either left loose in the case or mounted below the tailpiece. The guitar came in antique sunburst, natural, or cherry sunburst finish. Many examples of this model in bright cherry sunburst or dark sunburst have been available, many with plain tops. It is reported that some flametops were made, such as the example in the photo below, many of which were shipped to Japan. A total of approximately 1,500 Les Paul KMs were made. The example below has a nice flametop and a very dark cherryburst finish, and almost looks like a darkburst in photos. It weighs 9 lbs. 10 oz., and is a very nice playing guitar.

In speaking with Timm Kummer, who worked for Guitar Trader in the early 80’s, when the Les Paul KM model was introduced it was so far off from ’59 specs that it prompted his boss, Dave DeForrest, to identify specifications for the order for the Guitar Trader Reissue Les Paul from Gibson, which took until 1982 to produce.

For larger pics click here and scroll down the page slightly then click on pic.

kmtrc_t.jpg

kmmodel_t.jpg

That is far from an LP KM. I would say that S.M. are/were the owners initials at some point. The guitar has been modified at the least, and I see nothing to prove that it is even a Gibson and not a knock off. The TP-6 tailpiece puts it back to the 70's probably. I don't know what has been done to the binding, but if you look at the body, you can see the white of the original binding underneath the edges. The binding of the neck does not blend smoothly into the nut. The frets look extremely wide and flat for a Gibson. This might be an illusion due to angles, but the dot markers also look slightly off center. So at the very least, the guitar has been modded after market. Thus I think the prototype idea can be forgotten.

Did Wizdomcube just say "Totally awesome". Like totally for sure. I just had an 80s flashback, and it wasn't pretty. OK, I feel better now, phew that was close. Thought I was going to have to break out the hairspray. Looks like something you would see in a Whitesnake video. (Actually I was referring to the LP Tim posted, sorry)

i just purchased a similar studio. but it's not called an S.M. It has a truss piece that says "Les Paul Custom". It also has a switch which acts like a booster of some sort. i've been looking around the internet and a UK forum talks about some early studio classifications like delux, standard and custom. I think yours is a studio prototype (1980, right?) and mine, which was made in Nashville in '82, is an early studio model.

I could be wrong about this as I'm just a newbie. Maybe some of you with more experience and knowledge can chime in.

I'll post some pics later tonight.

That is far from an LP KM. I would say that S.M. are/were the owners initials at some point. The guitar has been modified at the least' date=' and I see nothing to prove that it is even a Gibson and not a knock off. The TP-6 tailpiece puts it back to the 70's probably. I don't know what has been done to the binding, but if you look at the body, you can see the white of the original binding underneath the edges. The binding of the neck does not blend smoothly into the nut. The frets look extremely wide and flat for a Gibson. This might be an illusion due to angles, but the dot markers also look slightly off center. So at the very least, the guitar has been modded after market. Thus I think the prototype idea can be forgotten.[/quote']

FIRST OF ALL THEIR IS NO WHITE PAINT IN THE BIDING WHAT SO EVER THE FLASH I GUESS PRODUCED THAT WHITE LOOKING SPOTS. I TOOK IT TO GUITAR CENTER IN HOLLYWOOD WERE THEY HAVE THE BIGGEST VINTAGE EQUIPMENT AND THE EXPERTS IN THEIR TOLD ME THAT IT IS DEFINETLY A GIBSON AND A VINTAGE ITS HEADSTOCK IS VERY WELL DONE BETTER THAN A CUSTOMS OR A SUPREME THE BODY IS BEAUTIFULL , THE BINDING GOT OFF CUSE SUN EXPOSURE OR MISSTREATED , THEY ALSO SAID ITS FROM LATE 70'S AND NO MORE LATER THAN 1980 , MAYBE A LOST INSTRUMENT FROM GIBSON HE SAID IT IS MOST LIKELY A PROTOTYPE MADE IN KALAMAZOO , HE CHECKED IT OUT AND SAID ITS TONE (SOUND) WAS INCREDIBLE THEYVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD THIS EVER IN A GIBSON LES PAUL, I TOLD THEM ARE U SURE ITS A LES PAUL GIBSON HE SAID YES NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, I ALSO SAID WHATS THE S.M ; HE COULDNT RECALL WHAT IT MENT THAT HES NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE BUT THAT HES DEFINETLY SEEN A K.M, HE GAVE ME ANSWERES LIKE THAT S.M COULD MEAN 'SPECIAL MADE' , 'STUDIO MODEL' , AND PROBBABLY SLASH MODEL

AND LAST THING HE SAID BEFORE LEAVING IS THAT IS A CUSTOM AND TO NEVER LET GO OF IT.

Here's a link to some pics of my 1982 Studio Custom. If anyone can confirm or clarify its identity' date=' please do.

http://homepage.mac.com/pcallaro/PhotoAlbum5.html

[img']http://homepage.mac.com/pcallaro/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2008-03-27%2006.17.23%20-0700/Image-B4FA9270FBFF11DC.jpg[/img]

Image-B4FAA8BEFBFF11DC.jpg

Image-B4FAF878FBFF11DC.jpg

ROOTIE MY HEAD STOCK IS MUCH BIGGER THAN YOURS ILL TRY TO PUT IN SOME MORE PICS OF THE HEADSTOCK AND BACK OF IT AND SIDE VIEWS

RHOADS, WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US? TAKE OFF THE CAPS LOCK. :-s

If I read the serial number correctly, it's the 62nd guitar made on the 147th day of 1980. If that's the case, then it can't be a Slash model prototype. Slash was still wearing diapers in 1980.

That bit about CG telling you "Special Made" or "Studio Model" or "Slash Model" sounds like a load of crap. They don't know what they're talking about. Those guys have never seen it either and just throwing out every "S.M." they could think of.

Let's just say that truss rod cover is the original TRC, why would they put "Studio Model" on a LP Custom? It make no sense...and there's always the possibility that somebody who owned the guitar previously put on a different TRC.

Do all Customs have two bindings around the body? If so, this one should have a second red binding around the back.

rhoads, if nobody here answers your question, try the LesPaulForum. Some of their members know everything there is to know about Les Pauls. I've seem them identify the approximate year of a LP just by looking at the pickup cavity. But post some more pics here first.

ROOTIE MY HEAD STOCK IS MUCH BIGGER THAN YOURS ILL TRY TO PUT IN SOME MORE PICS OF THE HEADSTOCK AND BACK OF IT AND SIDE VIEWS

Look forward to seeing more pics. For what it's worth, I was recently shopping for a 1960's Mosrite Ventures model bass and came across a shop in Chicago. Long story short, I was browsing their site and this 1980 Gibson Les Paul S.M. caught my attention (it is signed by LP and it has a second switch). I called to inquire about it but didn't ask about the "S.M." on the truss cover. Take a look.

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/proddetail.php?p=1-1,3-2,6-13&id=3430#

Archived