Gibson Brands Forums

Why no Maestro Vibrola on SG?

Reynolds_wRap

Can't you (still) special order the Maestro on SG's? Stop bar's are more popular' date=' but I always thought you could

still get the Maestro, if you special ordered it...on current or the '61 reissues.

CB [/quote']

Well, yeah, but then you have a Custom Shop upcharge that is far more unreasonable than it would be as a "standard option" (like the run in the early part of the decade, which sold for less than $100 more than the stoptail '61 RI). If you go that route you might as well also pay 'em for better finish-work and/or better attention to the contouring. If they'd get it right, it might be worth it, but I dunno how feasible that is nowadays. Back just before the late '99 introduction of the '61 w/Maestro USA model I tried to custom order a '61 RI w/vibrola and they flat-out told the dealer that they wouldn't do it. So I dunno'.

H-Bomb

Well' date=' yeah, but then you have a Custom Shop upcharge that is far more unreasonable than it would be as a "standard option" (like the run in the early part of the decade, which sold for less than $100 more than the stoptail '61 RI). If you go that route you might as well also pay 'em for better finish-work and/or better attention to the contouring. If they'd get it right, it might be worth it, but I dunno how feasible that is nowadays. Back just before the late '99 introduction of the '61 w/Maestro USA model I tried to custom order a '61 RI w/vibrola and they flat-out told the dealer that they wouldn't do it. So I dunno'.

H-Bomb[/quote']

Interesting...I think I was quoted just a couple hundred, over the Stop bar version, last time I checked.

Well, I'm sure you know more about it, than I do...hbomb. I think if I ever DO get enough "coin" saved,

to get another Gibson SG...it will be that variety. But, for now, my MIJ '61 Epi is Just Fine!! ;>)

CB

There's a difference in the way the horns are beveled on the SG's.

Not very apparent here' date=' but the SG 61 RI on the left has distinctly thinner horns.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3615/3374000149_e4535862ab.jpg?v=0[/img]

I overlooked this part the other day....duh.

Yes, see, those nicely done thinner horn-tapers were introduced on the '61 Reissue back in July of '99 with the advent of the "SG Les Paul w/Deluxe Maestro" (aka: '61 RI w/Maestro). Luckily even when they retardedly stopped offering the Maestro option on the '61 a couple years later they at least kept the tapered horns (which are like the original 60's ones, Lou and some of the other buffs can back me up on that)----I was PI$$ED when I sold my '99 models to get a Historic, only to find that they DON'T do the period-ACCURATE horn-tapers on the Historic ones (WTF?!?!?)! Still don't. And with the receded bevels on most of the past couple years' '61 Reissues it doesn't matter much anyway. That's why I say the '61 RI's body (with the tapered horns at least) + the Historic series' actual bevels would be a near-perfect reissue. WAKE UP Gibson!

H-Bomb

• 1 year later...
Wow.

Resurrecting a year-old thread.

Has it really been that long?

:-)

Anyhow' date=' here's my 2006 with absolutely no tuning issues. One of 48 made.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3554/3377544277_af24386680.jpg?v=0[/img]

There's a difference in the way the horns are beveled on the SG's.

Not very apparent here, but the SG 61 RI on the left has distinctly thinner horns.

3374000149_e4535862ab.jpg?v=0

Lou probably knows as much about old SG's as anybody.

He can tell you that the variations over the years are tremendous.

Neck joints and different angles/pocket depths.

Which fret the joint is on.

Body changes and control styles.

Different bridges.

Pickguards.

The list goes on and on.

About the only thing constant over the years is the body profile with two horns.

Re-resurrecting a year old thread!

Hey Neo, would it be possible to get a picture of the frame of the maestro without the cover on?

I've heard some people call it the de-tune-o matic. I don't mind the look of it but you can't expect it to be in tune when you come back up :/ IMO i think that an sg standard with a bigsby b5 would be nice :) but yet again that's just my opinion.

Archived