Gibson Brands Forums

My ES-339 might just become my #1

GuitarJunkie

I hadn't really had a chance to even plug in my ES-339 since trying it out at the store when I bought it in late january. Well I decided to take it to rehearsal tonight and try it on a couple of songs. My main guitar recently has been my 2001 LP Classic Plus with some handmade PAF replicas in it. Well, the LP never came off the stand tonight!!! I play mainly classic rock which includes everything from Styx and Marillion to the Killers and KISS. This guitar did it all. It worked great for the clean stuff, but surprisingly did really well for the dirtier stuff too. I shouldn't say "surprisingly" though. The other guitarist in the band had an extra ticket to the Foo Fighters last week, and since I'm a fan he decided to give me the extra ticket. I noticed that for about 90 percent of the electric stuff, Dave Grohl was using a DG-335. My buddy didn't know a lot about the Foos and was shocked at how good the semi-hollow sounded even on the really heavy stuff. I said I'd bring mine to the next practice, and here we are. We have a gig in a week and a half and there's a good chance that other than the few songs where I need a guitar tuned for slide, I'll spend most of the show playing the 339.

Yeah, they're fantastic. It would totally be my number one if I didn't have feedback issues on the bridge pickup in my practice space (too loud, too much metal, too much current running through unshielded wires, too close together). Can't use bridge only there as it immediately starts shrieking.

Had rehearsal this morning and not only did I not play my Les Paul, I actually let the other guitarist use it all morning. He's been drooling over it since I got it in january.

As far as feedback, I'm using a Traynor YCV-40 which is a 40 watt tube combo similar to a Fender Hot Rod. I set the gain around 6-7 and the master around 3 which is actually pretty loud (enough to make my ears ring the rest of the weekend). Occasionally I try to get it to feedback so I stand directly in front of the amp, but it usually doesn't work. I have to physically rest the headstock on the top of the amp for 5 or 10 seconds before I start to get controlled feedback. I'd say there's something up with your bridge pickup, unless you're playing with stupid high gain (even then, when I kick in the boost for a lead I still have trouble getting it to feedback).

Archived