Gibson Brands Forums

My Worst Guitar Mistake...

heymisterk

Ok, finally managed - I think - to use Photobucket to download pictures. So, I'll start with my worst guitar mistake: Selling my 1999, Westerly, RI Guild Bluesbird in order to fix my roof. I should have just put buckets out to catch the leaks. When I packed it up to send it to the new owner, I was awash in Jack and Cokes....

021_20A.jpg

Yeah, guitars can suffer from alcohol poisoning too....

I sold a nice Guild acoustic a few years ago, shoulda kept it but I was gonna buy a Taylor 615 - still haven't done it.

My Guild electrics ain't going nowhere.

Guild Blues 90

3374897012_6b980e1649.jpg?v=0

3377544261_552c24cef3_m.jpg3377544275_d0a0059ef7_m.jpg

Guild Starfire III hollowbody

3374897016_550a5ab7cb_m.jpg

2206881407_79d560f6ff.jpg?v=0

Both of these guitars (along with the entire Guild electric line) are no longer in production.

Great value in the used markets though - that's how I bought mine!

I sold it about a year or so ago and still miss it. It was handmade, and - I remember where I'm at, so all due respect - had better construction than most of the LPs I've played. The sound was somewhere between a LP and a 335 because of the semi-hollow construction. Slightly bigger than a LP. Light too!

Well.... Neocon, I've a Guild S100C - the acorn-oak leaf carved top SG clone.

In ways I don't really like the SG shape, but it's funny, I did a solo gig with it while working on my usual "take out to play" box and friends were saying it sounded better and that I played better on it than on the 335 type. Frankly that shocked me, especially the latter comment....

The biggest guitar mistake though?

I dunno. The Hagstrom 12 electric (board style) or the orange Gretsch semi hollow, probably. I had a pretty nice classical that got traded, as I recall, for the Ovation "Country Artist" nylon-string electric acoustic with 14 frets to the neck. I'm still not sure that was an error or not.

Dumping the 7-string I rebuilt from an old Harmony archtop likely was an error. Doubled the G an octave up and added a pickup. Took a lot of time with the thing so it played quite well even if it remained quite ugly. That went circa 1970.

Hmmmmmm.......

Archived