Gibson Brands Forums

Which guitar to buy?

Phantom123

Today, within an hour or two, I'll be locating and procuring my final choice of Guitar. I've worked very hard to come to these choices (Over the course of 2 months) and have test-played all options I am considering. They played fantastically, which is why I am leaving a poll here.

Note: I am aware one of these is a signature model. I do not wish to purchase a sig unless I know it is good. Fortunately, this is. This was pretty well on par with the other guitar.

---

Gibson SG '61 RI

=A fantastic guitar, by any standards. Played like a dream, sounded good, light, and looks good.

Gibson Angus Young Sig. SG

=Technically, better features than the SG '61. A tremolo (Albeit one some claim isn't too great), and, in my opinion, more of a looker. Does this guitar have any locks on it, which might require an allan wrench? What about stringing it? These are the only things I don't know, and they matter a LOT. I am not specifically pre-disposed to Angus, for a note.

Epiphone G-1275 Custom

=I played a pretty-damn good one. The 6 string sounded better than any guitar I previously owned *le gasp, a surprise!*, and I can always use a 12 string. Plus, weight does not bother me, I learned off a Les Paul (and my older job was stock-carrying in a wal-mart, so I'm used to weighty things).

========

Money is not an issue. I am not looking for new suggestions of guitar, as I must decide today, and I've already tested/retested these.

Anyone know how restringing the angus tremolo is? Will I need an allan wrench to unlock anything? Same towards any locks... If it has any locking mechanisms which require an allan wrench, I need fore-warning.

Definitely the '61--I swapped my standard for it 'cause it sounded so much better--the pickups are mounted directly into the wood of the guitar,not suspended from a piece of plastic, so that makes a big difference. Also, the vibrato kills sustain!

Definitely the '61--I swapped my standard for it 'cause it sounded so much better--the pickups are mounted directly into the wood of the guitar' date='not suspended from a piece of plastic, so that makes a big difference. Also, the vibrato kills sustain![/quote']

The sound difference is more than likely because they have different pickups.

just a thought.

Archived