Gibson Brands Forums

A question for the experts here!!!

GibbyJoe

I am moving to cheyenne wyoming and have to put my stuff in storage. Is it safe to store guitars in a storage area without climate control?? Will extreme cold damage them? Ive never had to do this before and I am curious.

thanks

Well, I've never done this so I can't speak from experience (and maybe should just keep my mouth shut) but it sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

If there was no climate control at all, and the storage temps were going to be more or less the exterior temps, I'd be reluctant to leave a good guitar there, but let's see what the experts say.

Yes, the cold will damage your instrument. To be precise, it isn't the cold that damages it, it is the rapid changes from warm to cold to warm, and changes in humidity from say 50% RH to 10% RH and back.

If you ship a guitar and it gets very cold gradually, the guitar can be brought back to room temperature without damage if it is warmed very slowly. But leaving it in an uncontrolled environment for a long time will definitely damage it.

If you guitar is an acoustic made of laminated wood, it won't experience as much wood damage as a solid wood guitar (lots of crazing I'm sure). Solid body electrics will suffer the least but still be affected (neck warpage, body crazing).

I wouldn't ever leave my guitars in a storage area with no climate control. It is a recipie for disaster!

Personally, I would find someone you can leave them with while your gone with the understanding you get them back when you get home! =D> ) Heck, just send em to me and I will take care of them while your gone! 8-[

I have never been to Wyoming, but I am thinking....

your gonna want a guitar!

=D>

I wouldn't ever leave my guitars in a storage area with no climate control. It is a recipie for disaster!

Personally, I would find someone you can leave them with while your gone with the understanding you get them back when you get home!

+1 :-k I would follow his advice, but not his spelling prowess; recipie should be spelled recipe . What's the Canadian spelling of that Karen, is there a "u" in there somewhere?

+1 :-s I would follow his advice' date=' but not his spelling prowess; recipie should be spelled recipe . What's the Canadian spelling of that Karen, is there a "u" in there somewhere?[/quote']

Thanks Don.... I have never been a good speller, That whole I before E thing is just plain dumb! Who neds speeling when you have getars to play! =D>

Have a gud day everybody! Go Play your GETARS!

Archived