Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 TV vs J-45 Modern Classic

mojogood

I don't have a local dealer with a J-45 True Vintage to try out and I'm considering ordering one online. I'd like opinions from anyone that might have played one as to whether these are worth the extra expense over the J-45 Modern Classic. Is the tone noticeably better and is the wood/fit & finish better on the TVs?

Also, can a TV be purchased for 40% off the list price like Martins, etc?

I will appreciate any and all feedback, thanks.

mojogood O:)

I don't know what the TV is going to sound like, but I just bought a new J45L modern classic, and it's hard for me to believe that they can make a guitar better than the modern classic. I know that they must be doing it with the legends and the TVs, but it blows my mind, because my J45 is so outstanding. And it came that way! Factory setup, right out of the box, was low, fast, clean and well intonated. I couldn't be more pleased. I've read the specs for the TVs, and I'm sure they are incredible. I'm a Gibson guy, through and through. Now to find a good left handed Hummingbird, then I'll be set....lol

If there's any way you can find one or two to a/b against an MC, you should. I did that recently. The MC was much better tonally compared to the TV. In fact, the TV was disappointing. I should qualify that though by saying the MC was truly outstanding, one of the best I've ever played. Still, I think it points up the fact that your far better off with any guitar to play them first (I should only take that advice myself). Jmo, ymmv, and all that. I'm pretty sure you can get the TV at the usual 35% or so off msrp, but don't quote me on that.

Depending on how finely attuned to tone nuances you are, you may find -- as I do -- that the True Vintage version of the J-45 model is **generally** a nicer sounding, fuller, richer guitar, when compared with the less-expensive Modern Classic version. ("Generally")

Is the extra cost worth it? That's a tough call. For some folks, it will be; for others, not so much.

Fred

Depending on how finely attuned to tone nuances you are' date=' you may find -- as I do -- that the True Vintage version of the J-45 model is **generally** a nicer sounding, fuller, richer guitar, when compared with the less-expensive Modern Classic version.[/quote']

Fred's got it exactly right, IMHO. If you listen to a few examples of each model, I think that you're likely to prefer the best of the TVs to the best of the MCs -- but maybe not by enough to justify the price difference. Only you can decide.

-- Bob R

"the True Vintage version of the J-45 model is **generally** a nicer sounding' date=' fuller, richer guitar"

Fred[/quote']"

Could you detail that a bit, Fred? Im wondering in particular if the TV is more lightly braced than the MC, or lighter in general (Im thinking of a LOOBK I had that wasnt quite there for me -- it seemed a triffle on the heavy side for a small body Hog).

I fingerpick, so would also be interested in the difference of the response as far as that goes. JK

ps. do either nail a classic 40s-50s Gibson tone? J

"

Could you detail that a bit' date=' Fred? Im wondering in particular if the TV is more lightly braced than the MC, or lighter in general (Im thinking of a LOOBK I had that wasnt quite there for me -- it seemed a triffle on the heavy side for a small body Hog).

I fingerpick, so would also be interested in the difference of the response as far as that goes. JK

ps. do either nail a classic 40s-50s Gibson tone? J[/quote']

I cannot recall specifically whether the bracing on the TVs is a little lighter, or perhaps designed to mimic the 'advanced' pattern of the '30s round-shouldered dreads, but I seem to recall that the overall build is lighter than that of the Modeern Classics. (But I could be wrong on that.)

The closest to 'nailing' the old originals from the '40s is the Legend Series, which currently consists of only the J-45 and the L-00. But the True Vintage series comes close. I've a/b'd a few of my vintage guitars with new Bozeman stuff, and I would say that the new ones are good, very good. They ain't "the same", but they are (or can be) "very good" indeed.

I'm thinking how good they will sound in a number of years, after being played.

Fred

I don't know what the TV is going to sound like' date=' but I just bought a new J45L modern classic, and it's hard for me to believe that they can make a guitar better than the modern classic. I know that they must be doing it with the legends and the TVs, but it blows my mind, because my J45 is so outstanding. And it came that way!..[/quote']

I'll step into this one-- I don't think that the TV will sound 'better' than a Modern Classic, but it should sound different. And some people will prefer one type of sound and some people will prefer the other. Personally, I've played some regular J45s right off the rack that sounded fabulous. Sort of depends on what kind of sound you like to hear and maybe sing along with, doesn't it?

Archived