Gibson Brands Forums

Who was your first Groupie?

Steven Tari

When I was first learning to play guitar, I had just learned "Proud Mary" and I thought I was hot. A friend of mine had an older sister (Whom I had a crush on) and she had a slumber party the night before so I thought I'd go over and make the girls swoon over my singing and guitar playing. Well the girls were not impressed and were giggling to the point I tucked my tail between my legs and left. While walking home I noticed I was being followed. I stopped and asked why she was following me. She told me she had been with her older sister and heard me play. She liked my playing,singing,Thought I was cute and asked for my autograph. Even though she was 8 , It made my day. She told her friends And I had Played "Proud Mary" for them about a dozen times. That went on for about a week. I was living in Utah at the time. Then all the girls started flipping for Donny Osmond. OH WELL I HAD MY WEEK. I guess it was just Puppy Love. LOL :-

Went with the parents on vacation to Myrtle Beach. Took my guitar, a Yamaha FG-75 acoustic. I was gonna take it out on the beach and play it... my Mom was giving me a hard time, saying "you're gonna go play your three chords?"

Ok... I knew WAY more than three chords... but in truth, I really only knew three songs all the way through, both music and lyrics. SO... off I go and on the way to the beach a couple of the chicks staying at the motel saw me and asked if they could come along. (Why of COURSE you may, my dears!) I get out on the beach and have a seat and start playing. Girls sitting in front of me, I'm jamming on Margaritaville, or House of the Rising Sun... whatever the 3 songs were I knew... and some kids show up... probably like 6 or 7 years old. They hung out and listened to me for a song or two, then they asked me if I'd be there awhile... then ran off towards the hotel next door to mine. I keep playing... more folks are stopping by and having a seat to listen... so I start playing the pieces of songs I know... and the songs I know the music but not the words; taking requests and faking it- anything to entertain the crowd. Folks come and go, but I've probably got anywhere from 7 to 20 people hanging out at any given time. I do this for about an hour or two... and as I am getting up to head back in, those two little kids... remember them?... come up to me and ask for my autograph. When they left, they'd gone back to ask their parents for a pen and some paper :- I still smile when I think of them.

Needless to say both of the chicks from my motel were very friendly towards me for the rest of the stay... but....

The BEST part is... my Mom later had to admit she had walked out to the sea wall to check on me and said she was shocked to see me sitting there surrounded by a crowd of people listening to my "three chords"......

In the first "real" band I was in back when I was around 20 years old, we played a show at one of the local colleges. There was this girl named Heidi in the audience who my bass player knew and she had it in for me. Turns out she was called "Heidi Hiney" for a reason. Can't forget a name like that...

Archived