Gibson Brands Forums

ES339 - Neck choice?

maller

I'll probably have to order one, because I can't find any to try.

So, I haven't been able to compare the necks. As I'm newer to guitars, I'm not sure which neck to get. Any thoughts? My current guitar is a standard stratocaster. That neck is what I'm used to, but I don't know if that would be similar to the '59 or 30/60 neck.

Also, not sure if the '59 would be too big. I'm 5'10", probably have average size hands.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I was reared on a Hagstrom with an incredibly thin, flat neck profile. Then proper Strats. So the 30/60 from Memphis is very comfortable to me. So if you don't want to get used to something different, the 30/60 is great.

I came off a 2 year Country stint with a Tele, when the next project added more Southern/Classic rock and Motown, and also have an SG (thin neck).

I love the 30/60. I've never played the 59, but my daughters new '09 Studio is fatter than I like......

Best of luck.

When I bought mine, I was able to try both and there was no way I could play the '50s neck. I don't have big hands, but I can usually play most neck profiles without any problem. The issue with the 339 neck is that a lot of times I'll wrap my thumb over the top to play the bass note on the low E when playing barre chords. By the time I got to around the fifth fret on the '50s neck, I couldn't do it.

Archived