Gibson Brands Forums

Is A New LP Worth The Money?

luke1010

Hey all, I'm from the UK and fairly new to this forum. Mainly just been reading some threads and looking at the pictures of all your nice guitars.

But to the point, I will be looking around to buy my 1st Gibson LP soon. I was looking at either a Classic or a Standard Faded (if they still make them). Im not really interested in the Stuidios or whatever as I only really like the looks of the Classics, Standard Faded and Customs... but Customs are well above my budget. So I was wondering is it worth paying all the money for a brand spanking new LP. Or would it be better to look around for an older one, and what would be a reasonable price to pay. I will probably only be able to afford something around £1000.

Help would be much appreciated.

Depends what your willing to spend. Any of them are awesome guitars, although some folks don't like the pickups in the Classic. I personally have warmed up to them, they work pretty good.

Depends what your willing to spend. Any of them are awesome guitars' date=' although some folks don't like the pickups in the Classic. I personally have warmed up to them, they work pretty good.[/quote']

Well I'm willing to spend around £1000, it will obviously cost a bit more than that for a brand new one.

But I might be able to spend a bit more for a new one, if its really worth it.

the standard fadeds are prolly the best value of the USA line. based on other forums there seems to be very few people who own them and dislike them. i own one and a Classic...and the Std Faded definitely is the better guitar.

as for the chambering issue, play the guitars so you can hear the difference. my Std is chambered and sounds better than my 1995 Studio and 2006 Classic, which are only weight-relieved. don't believe everyone who says the chambered axes are crap.

Definately not crap. And while my Classic (chambered 2007) is a little feedbacky, that thing BARKS through my Marshall, absolutely one of the best 3 (all Gibsons) guitars I've owned, and that Classics at the top of the heap, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey all' date=' I'm from the UK and fairly new to this forum. Mainly just been reading some threads and looking at the pictures of all your nice guitars.

But to the point, I will be looking around to buy my 1st Gibson LP soon. I was looking at either a Classic or a Standard Faded (if they still make them). Im not really interested in the Stuidios or whatever as I only really like the looks of the Classics, Standard Faded and Customs... but Customs are well above my budget. So I was wondering is it worth paying all the money for a brand spanking new LP. Or would it be better to look around for an older one, and what would be a reasonable price to pay. I will probably only be able to afford something around £1000.

Help would be much appreciated.[/quote']

Hi,

I'm from Italy - good old Europe for everybody else...

We are nowadays in the enviable situation of affording very expensive american guitars from a powerful exchange rate standing point.

I guess therefore that with 1K Pounds you could get ANY LesPaul - assuming you take the chance of buying it via web.

I would definitely suggest you to take such a profit and get the most expensive guitar you can!

It's all according to if you like plain tops. If so The best bang for your buck would probably be to import a GCR0 what with the $ being weak. This is a custom shop Les Paul made specialy for a chain of stores in the US called Guitar Center.

They are no where near the price of the flame top R0, but still have all the custom shop attributes such as a long neck tenon, etc..

Gorgeous guitars and great sounding . They are also not chambered like the production model Standard.

Well worth getting from one of the better dealers.

Here are a few pics of G0's. They are not mine but if I hadn't already bought an R0, I would have certainly gone for one of these.

Phil.

IMG_0376.jpg

66223491.JPG16603232.JPG

IMG_0129.jpg

you're welcome. the regular R0 is also on that site for i think about 100 dollars extra, if you're interested. my understanding is that it's the same guitar, but has the R in the serial number instead of G.

you're welcome. the regular R0 is also on that site for i think about 100 dollars extra' date=' if you're interested. my understanding is that it's the same guitar, but has the R in the serial number instead of G.[/quote']

So they are the same guitars, just with a different letter the serial numbers, cool thanks.

I'm not really up on the serial numbers, but i take it the fact that the R0 has R in and the G0 has G in, changes nothing on the guitar?

Hey all' date=' I'm from the UK and fairly new to this forum. Mainly just been reading some threads and looking at the pictures of all your nice guitars.

Help would be much appreciated.[/quote']

Luke, you really can't ask if a new LP is worth the money, that's for you to decide...and really, you have to play several before making that decision. All mine were purchased new, so, if you ask me, I say yes...buying new is worth it. The next guy will tell you no, the next guy will say yes, etc., etc.

Can you tell me what LPs cost in the U.K.? I don't know. If you plan on buying a high end guitar, don't settle on the model. If you really want a Standard or a Custom and it's a bit above your price range, but that' really what you want, then just wait a little bit longer and save up the extra $$. Guitars are like women, you shouldn't have to settle for one. =D>

So they are the same guitars' date=' just with a different letter the serial numbers, cool thanks.

I'm not really up on the serial numbers, but i take it the fact that the R0 has R in and the G0 has G in, changes nothing on the guitar?[/quote']

correct. the G merely designates the guitar as part of the special run available exclusively at Guitar Center stores here in the States.

Luke' date=' you really can't ask if a new LP is worth the money, that's for you to decide...and really, you have to play several before making that decision. All mine were purchased new, so, if you ask me, I say yes...buying new is worth it. The next guy will tell you no, the next guy will say yes, etc., etc.

Can you tell me what LPs cost in the U.K.? I don't know. If you plan on buying a high end guitar, don't settle on the model. If you really want a Standard or a Custom and it's a bit above your price range, but that' really what you want, then just wait a little bit longer and save up the extra $$. Guitars are like women, you shouldn't have to settle for one. =D> [/quote']

Thanks for the advice.

LP's in the UK at the moment are about:

Classics - £1149

Standards £1349

Standard Faded - £1549

Custom - £1999

That is according to http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/p.php?n=131

And FennRx, does guitar center ship to the UK from their website. Because when I tried to make an account just incase I do decide to get a guitar off there. The countries it lets me select are the US and APO/FPO, what does that last one mean :D

Army Post Office/Fleet Post Office.

These are for the US military stationed outside of US territories. I'm not sure if GC will ship internationally. If they won't the R0 is only $100 more, and there are plenty of dealers who can ship that one to you. Hey when you're spening $3000, what's an extra 100 right?

Hi, I don't think GC will ship internationally. If you look at the conditions or shipping information I think it mentions it in there. Something to do with not being allowed to sell Gibsons outside the US due to agreements with the manufacturer. In other words, we have to pay whatever rates the european dealers charge so they cost us more, thats cartels for you!

Army Post Office/Fleet Post Office.

These are for the US military stationed outside of US territories. I'm not sure if GC will ship internationally. If they won't the R0 is only $100 more' date=' and there are plenty of dealers who can ship that one to you. Hey when you're spening $3000, what's an extra 100 right?[/quote']

Oh ok thanks.

Yeah your right, an extra 100 is exactly much if your spending 3000.

I'll just look around for dealers that do ship to the U.K

Hi' date=' I don't think GC will ship internationally. If you look at the conditions or shipping information I think it mentions it in there. Something to do with not being allowed to sell Gibsons outside the US due to agreements with the manufacturer. In other words, we have to pay whatever rates the european dealers charge so they cost us more, thats cartels for you!

[/quote']

In addition, in the event that you need a warranty repair, Gibson will not cover the cost unless it's serviced in the same country it was purchased. So, you'd have to go back to the US. You probably won't have a warranty issue, but I'm just sayin'.

The G0 is not the same as an R0. The G0 are fine guitars, and everyone I know who has bought one has liked them, but GC has the guitars made to their own specs. The specs on them also change from time to time. Some only had stock electronics, not the historic reissue electronics, others are made with an even slimmer neck profile than the R0. Most of them are limited to the Lemonburst finish, and the list goes on and on. GC originally altered the specs for two reasons, so they could sell them cheaper, and also so that they would be unique to GC. They are, however good guitars, with a good vintage tone and very playable. My advice to you would be to avoid eBay unless you can personally check out the guitar locally, and you know how to spot a fake LP. There are too many fakes floating around on there.

I think the guitars you are thinking of are all fine possibiities, it is just a matter of finding one near you that you can afford. Yes, if you find a new one that really speaks to you, they are worth the money. But, don't settle on the first one you try. Try as many as you can, and get the one that suits you the best.

Archived