Gibson Brands Forums

Customizing SG

Rizzy

Hi!

I have an Gibson SG Special faded in worn red, but i'm getting a little bit tired of it's looks... So i think i'm going to customize it a little bit. To Start with, i'm going to switch the knobs to black and silver top hat knobs, and then put on humbucker covers in nickle. I'm also considering installing a Vibrola, but i'm not a big fan of drilling holes in my guitar...

I think the neck is the most booring part of the guitar, no neck binding and dot inlays. Is it possible to install any of that? maby white binding and block inlays? Without costing a fortune :D

I'm just brainstorming right now, give me some tips or more ideas if you have any.

Feel free to post pics of your customized SG's =D>

You could have binding and block inlays installed, but for what it will end up costing, you could have just bought an SG Standard.

To have binding installed, take whatever a re-fret would cost, and then double it. The inlays would actually be easier, but still quite expensive.

You could have binding and block inlays installed' date=' but for what it will end up costing, you could have just bought an SG Standard.

To have binding installed, take whatever a re-fret would cost, and then double it. The inlays would actually be easier, but still quite expensive.[/quote']

+1

Hi!

I have an Gibson SG Special faded in worn red' date=' but i'm getting a little bit tired of it's looks... So i think i'm going to customize it a little bit. To Start with, i'm going to switch the knobs to black and silver top hat knobs, and then put on humbucker covers in nickle. I'm also considering installing a Vibrola, but i'm not a big fan of drilling holes in my guitar...

I think the neck is the most booring part of the guitar, no neck binding and dot inlays. Is it possible to install any of that? maby white binding and block inlays? Without costing a fortune =;

I'm just brainstorming right now, give me some tips or more ideas if you have any.

Feel free to post pics of your customized SG's ;)[/quote']

Well, if your gonna just customize this, then id put in '57 classic pickups (they have a cover), '57's are a must :-& then install yourself a stetsbar pro II which is a no mod trem, then there you are, it'll be kick-*** for you!, and then tell us how the stetsbar is :D/

You might think about trading it for another model or like a lot of us save up for another guitar.

Nahh, i don't want to trade it. I like the guitar, i just want to make it look better, if possible. Customize it and make it stand out compared to the other peoples Gibson SG Special Faded

Well' date=' if your gonna just customize this, then id put in '57 classic pickups (they have a cover), '57's are a must :-& then install yourself a stetsbar pro II which is a no mod trem, then there you are, it'll be kick-*** for you!, and then tell us how the stetsbar is ;)/ [/quote']

hahaha, i think the stetsbar i so ugly =; I mostly want the virbola for the looks, and maby some extra sustain?

Archived