Gibson Brands Forums

Infamous buzzin'

ClassicNick66

I dunno.

My Les Paul Classic had a slight buzz with the B string that I could never pin down.

Wasn't the string/frets, it was a vibration somewhere on the guitar - very subtle.

Plugged in I couldn't even hear it

Took it to a luthier to have BurstBucker Pros installed and get a good thorough set up.

Showed him the noise when I dropped it off, he said he'd figure it out.

When I picked it up, it was perfect!

Asked him what the buzz was and he shrugged his shoulders....

Said he pulled it apart with the strings off, did the p/u install and then set it up.

No buzz.

He said he wouldn't charge me for fixing the buzz......

:-)

It makes my skin crawl every time I see somebody post that on the internet.

Can't tell you how many stripped/broken truss rods I've seen because of, well... lack of knowledge.

I don't encourage ANYBODY to touch a truss rod.

90% of the time it's not necessary and only makes matters worse - possibly much worse.

Gibson's Lifetime Warranty doesn't cover it when you've just made firewood out of your neck.

anybody got some cheap tips or tricks on how to eliminate some subtle string buzzing... i have not identified where the buzz actually is yet

P.S. i am getting a bone nut soon' date=' for other reasons but im guessing this will help with this issue

[/quote']

A Bone nut won't help with string buzz unless you're getting the buzz on an open string. Then, more than likely, the nut slot is too low and the nut should be replaced. If there's a legitimate fret buzz, you should take it to a good repair person. If you don't know anything about a truss rod, don't touch it. Also, if the buzz doesn't come through an amp, then just deal with it. There's metal vibrating against metal. Buzzing is impossible to completely get rid of.

Oh yeah, it could be playing technique as well.

Archived