Gibson Brands Forums

I cant find a strap that fits the button...

pick and strum

One of the best straps around, IMHO.

http://www.sullysstraps.com/index.html

I'm also guessing that it's a MC model and the hole isn't large enough to fit on the pick up. You can enlarge most any strap hole so it will fit. I've used a drill bit or a reamer to make the hole larger on some of my non-Sully straps the past. However, Sully includes a tab that will fit on a pick up, if you tell him that's what you need.

I agree with guitarstrummer that you can enlarge the hole easily.

What I do for an end jack is different, however, because I have a lot of guitars and only about five straps. So, where a jack is on the end block I actually use a string knotted around the jack and then looped through the strap hole - works like a charm without enlarging the strap hole and permits me to use any strap with any guitar.

I use Levy's straps, made here in Nova Scotia.

http://www.levysleathers.com/2008%20Straps%20And%20Bags%20Catalog/Product%20Catalog.html

I don't use a strap too often, but I bought what I thought was a real cool one a few years ago and had trouble fitting it around the end jack. I ended up taking a "Sharpie" pen from my desk and just worked it around in the strap hole until it softened it up a bit and enlarged it enough to accomodate the endjack. Workde fine.

I had exactly that problem with my J-45 also. The 'core' diameter of the jack type buttons is big. I had to enlarge the hole in my leather strap significantly - not always easy if the hole is suttounded by stitching. Still not 100% confident in the security of it.......

There's nothing magical or mysterious about a guitar strap and button. They're pretty much

universal. The business end of the strap has a hole with a slot cut in the edge of teh hole

on the up hill side. If it's too tight, open the slot with a sharp knife. If it's too loose, sew a

stitch near the end of the slot, away from the hole to shorten it up.

Or.. use a shoe lace and half hitch it to the strap, through the hole, then make a noose of the

other end and hang the button.

I'm with BallCorner and TommyK. I didn't want to try to enlarge the hole on my good strap and risk it being the wrong size or shape for my endpinjack. So I got some round nylon cord (parachute cord also some shoelaces) fashioned a hangmans noose w/13 wraps so the slip knot wouldn't slip unless I used 2 hands and a little force. I basically leave ththe 6" string hanging on my guitar and whenever I want to use the strap, just half hitch or something the free end to the too small strap hole. Also give me the ability to make the strap exactly the length I want by adjusting the length of the stringy thing, since the holes on the strap are 3 or 4" apart. G'luck.

Archived