Gibson Brands Forums

Best amp for an SG?

Phantom123

Here are a few to consider:

1) The Fender Hot Rod deluxe is nice I have one & it's great but my Carvin does it better for less!

2) Marshall valve is very good if not excellant & you can find them cheap!

3)anything of the made by Orange amp or Carvin is also really nice on a budget

4) I love my Roland Jazz chorous 77 for blues & jazz but switch to my Carvin tweed 50watt head & 4x10" tweed cab for heavey stuff but am looking for the right Marshall

Depending on your budget I think a Marshall would do it all very nicely for very little $$ if you go with a valve combo!

VOX any Vox' date=' but marshall will do fine. Ask surfpup about the philosophy on watts. "To Gain 3Db, you have to double the watts. this means that a 100-watt amp is only 6Db. louder than a 25W'er.

[/quote']

It's not philosophy, it's physics. And while a 1dB increase in volume constitutes about the least difference

detectable by our ears, it takes ten times the power to effect a doubling of perceived "loudness"

(all other things like speakers being equal.)

Twice as loud is a lot, though.

The OP has not mentioned WHERE he intends to use this amp. And if he intends to use it at home' date=' then most of the amp suggestions listed are absolutely the WRONG way to go...

Tube amp? Yes.

40W? Absolutely insane, I say.

I've had 50 watter tube amps, and it was a terrible choice for home practice. The point of having a tube amps is that sweet tone and crunch, but that requires you to DRIVE those tubes... so higher volume levels on the volume/gain knobs are required. Typically past "4" out of 12, depending on the brand. With a 40 Watter, those volume levels with have you go deaf in a week LOL. If this is for Jam sessions, small clubs, etc then 40W+ is fine.

I finally settled for a 5W tube amp, the smallest wattage they make, and believe me this thing can still get insanely LOUD, but at least I can get into the 'crunchy' gain zone without going totally deaf.

[/quote']

I've got a 50 watt tube combo that I use all the time at home.

Just make sure that there is a master volume control and you can drive the crap out of the tubes

without ear shattering volume.

Archived