Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Pickup Upgrades

guitarmanjt

I am looking into an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top. What kind of pickups would be a good upgrade for it? I play classic rock (mostly Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith).

I am looking at Gibson pickups and Seymour Duncan pickups.

I am also considering an Epiphone 1959 models with Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups, but I do not have the money yet.

I am looking into an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top. What kind of pickups would be a good upgrade for it? I play classic rock (mostly Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith).

I am looking at Gibson pickups and Seymour Duncan pickups.

I am also considering an Epiphone 1959 models with Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups' date=' but I do not have the money yet.[/quote']

Here...http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage/shpg1_pearly_ga/

Welcome to the forum, how much are you planing on investing? Are you upgrading those pickups by yourself or are you taking the guitar to an expert? What kind of sound do you expect from them? Have you played the guitar in question and decided you dont like the pickups that come with her?

If you're looking at a plus top Standard and pickups, you might as well buy the 1959. $900 for a guitar (which looks to be slightly better than a standard-issue Epiphone), Bustbuckers ($110 each if you upgraded the cheaper model), and a very nice case.

A Les Paul Standard plus top is $550, plus the $220 worth of pickups, and around $100 for the case... more than that if you want one that looks as good as the one that comes with it.

$870 to buy it separately, $900 to buy it as a package and not need to upgrade anything.

Dude - you want to check EVERYTHING when you are upgrading. Thanks to a friend I am getting PUPs toupgrade an Epiphone LP Standard ( left hand). I also got advice to swap out the capacitors as they tend to be very cheap and with a good set of bumble bees the tone will improve drastically.

So, I printed off some LP wiring diagrams to see what kind of wiring was in my LP. Well guess what?? The wiring in it does not in any way resemble a Gibson LP wiring. There are no capacitors in my LP.

So now, I am going to yank all of the wiring and fix it as a 50's style wiring - with capacitors. The way I am looking at it now is why do just one part of the equation? Upgrading the PUPs but everything else is letting you down. I would prefer to do the whole lot and come out with all the electronic bits working together in your favour.

Archived