Gibson Brands Forums

Large to Small Pickguard Conversion

Andre S

It depends on how the route the bodies. I don't have an SG, so I can't say.

If they do the "swimming pool" route, like you see on some Strats, you couldn't do it.

If they do a "close" route, so it's the actual outline of the pickup, you should be able to use regular mounting rings with no evidence. You'd need to fill and patch the old screw holes, of course.

I guess if I liked the small one better that would have been the SG

I would have bought. Once you start to mod a guitar it is like anything

else the value goes down. Keep that in mind.

CW

Yep, but one with a small pickguard is at least 800 more. And I I don't really consider resale value, because, I don't buy to sell. If I dont know that i want to sell it from the time I buy it fine, but if I buy it without the intention of selling, and I do decide to sell then its too hard to part.

Well... It's possible but it will be tough and it will NOT look like a '61.

The seams will definately be visible because of the color being difficult to match (unless it's black) and because of the glossy nitro finish.

You could do it Blackie's way.

Well... It's possible but it will be tough and it will NOT look like a '61.

The seams will definately be visible because of the color being difficult to match (unless it's black) and because of the glossy nitro finish.

You could do it Blackie's way.

I don't mind if it doesn't

I could get the 61, but I dont want to because, I want to add a maestro and I would be slightly afraid to on an 2000 dollar guitar.

Or maybe I will.

Dunno.

I really want a 61 in a tv yellow finish..

Oooh!

I emailed guitar center to get a quote from gibson for a SG standard with a small pickguard, and for one without any pickguard

Archived