Gibson Brands Forums

question for the 339 owners

Maple

i'm having trouble get enough snap from the E and A strings. it's like the tone knob is turned down a bit on those trings. this is mainly in the neck pick up. so.. my question, is this an issue of raising or lowering the pick up? thanks!

Sure you'll get a different tone playing with the pickup height, just like any other guitar. Don't bring it up too high or you'll get artificial overtones and harmonics sometimes called "wolf" tones. Don't drop it too low or it will be weak. However, lowering the pickup gives a lower output but there's more sparkle so with the pickup lowered you might find the tone brightens up a little bit.

I have the pickups on my Byrdland raised just high enough that the strings don't touch them when pressed at the 20th fret and I've not heard any artificial tones.

That's how I was shown to set the pickups by the master of the mighty Byrdland.

I have the pickups on my Byrdland raised just high enough that the strings don't touch them when pressed at the 20th fret and I've not heard any artificial tones.

That's how I was shown to set the pickups by the master of the mighty Byrdland.

ie they barely touch the pole pieces?

If you have a Good Enough Ear to just Hear a Problem with those individual Strings.

Leave the Pickup Height Where it Was at and just Raise those pole Pieces only.

You can make a String or 2 Louder or Softer by Raising or Lowering it's String pole Piece

i'm having trouble get enough snap from the E and A strings. it's like the tone knob is turned down a bit on those trings. this is mainly in the neck pick up. so.. my question' date=' is this an issue of raising or lowering the pick up? thanks![/quote']

Yo Maple. Ya into Mopars?

Yep. The poles are just a hair below the strings when I depress them at the 20th fret.

Hmmm, weeelll, isn't that spesh-ulll.

Matter of taste, of course, but I'd expect that would give you false overtones or "wolf" tones and would sound muddy. It's certainly far out of spec for a factory setup - I'd suggest that you really should try the pickups more like 5/64" away from the strings when fretted at the last fret, then experiment from there.

i raised the pick up, mostly on the bass side but a bit on the treb side too. and it sounds much better now. what a great sounding guitar. i love my 339~

mopar? yea i've been a fan of 60's and 70's American Muscle cars since i was a kid. i just bought a new 2010 Challenger.. hope to get it next week!

Archived