Gibson Brands Forums

Death metal tunnings

danielgrind

Hello everyone, i use my gibson lespaul standar and an sg standar to play death metal, and now i want to tune them to dropped G (G C G C E A). To achive the correct tension i´m using 7th strings sets. My question is if there is a problem using this big gauges in my lespaul? the gauges are as follows: .011 - .015 - .022 - .030 - .040 - .050 - .065, and i don´t use the .011, only from .015 - .022 - .030 - .040 - .050 - .065.

Thanx, Gibson Rules!!!!

Thanx for the answers guys!!, exept deepblue lol, please listen to meshuggah, maybe that will open your mind for a better life and smarter post replies. lol.

Well yeah intonation can be a problem but i take care of that calibrating my guitar carefully. You can´t imagine how the sustain feels in dropped g when you play open. I have only felt that with a lespaul.

Thanx again

Look at this deepblue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIIdj8

Do Death Metal players actually tune their guitars?......HYYYYooOoooOo!

uhm, yea seriously, it takes as much skill to play death metal as it does blues or jazz. laugh all you want, it does. I have a good friend who played death metal for years in the bands Malevolent Creation, Divine Empire, Raped Ape, Wynjara, etc. and that same guy also plays jazz and blues. Not only that, he's actually is the world's best unsigned blues guitarist.

As for the thing about tuning. Learning right hand control is essential as well as far as holding the tuning. Use 12 gauge strings. I never had to reintonate or set my guitar up for tuning to standard A or G and no, it didn't throw my guitar out of whack either.

Thanx for the answers guys!!' date=' exept deepblue lol, please listen to meshuggah, maybe that will open your mind for a better life and smarter post replies. lol.

Well yeah intonation can be a problem but i take care of that calibrating my guitar carefully. You can´t imagine how the sustain feels in dropped g when you play open. I have only felt that with a lespaul.

Thanx again

Look at this deepblue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIIdj8

[/quote']

Give them something more...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqaqXdaDPs&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Hello everyone' date=' i use my gibson lespaul standar and an sg standar to play death metal, and now i want to tune them to dropped G (G C G C E A). To achive the correct tension i´m using 7th strings sets. My question is if there is a problem using this big gauges in my lespaul? the gauges are as follows: .011 - .015 - .022 - .030 - .040 - .050 - .065, and i don´t use the .011, only from .015 - .022 - .030 - .040 - .050 - .065.

Thanx, Gibson Rules!!!![/quote']

Have you used D'addario's string gauge calculator to check the tension is maintained from your original gauge set?

I'm dropping a non-Gib Explorer to C-Nat (i.e. two whole steps), and I had to run two full check calculations to make sure I was

buying the right next set of strings. My target was not only correct tone, but also maintaining neck tension.

Archived