Gibson Brands Forums

too many embedded videos?

milod

Guys...

Just a question here, but...

Does everybody's computer start to get funky when there's a forum page with a dozen or so embedded videos? Somehow it seems photos aren't so much a problem, but...

I love listening even to stuff I've never heard of that the younger guys, especially put up, but

I wonder if the forum would work better with just the url???????

This ain't to spoil anybody's fun, but... I've noticed it on other pages where even a general cable modem just ain't wide enough bandwidth to not get hiccups.

m

Actually I am likely to use at least two machines during the day. Both Firefox, but it's set (work reasons mostly) so I can at least see the "pix" of a video.

Those pages here slow to a crawl.

OTOH, other pages - including many news sites - are similar where newspapers/tv stations are also putting a lot of vids up. They don't have to be "moving," just "there."

Yeah, I s'pose I could shut down all Java, but then... I dunno.

Bottom line is I like to see this stuff, but... wow, it does slow stuff down on two different machines, two different overall setups. Neither actually downloads a vid file unless asked to. (Yeah, I've got some add-ons for Firefox.)

Just the link doesn't slow a thing.

m

It's probably more an issue with how much horsepower you have for graphics processing than connection bandwidth. The videos, at least YouTube, display just an image within the Flash before you click the play button so there's not a lot downloading. However, lots of embedded Flash objects can be a bit taxing on a system with a not-so-hot video card. Both my systems at work and home each have pretty good (not great, but pretty good) graphics cards that have 1GB of video memory and good processors (for the record, they're both nVidia GeForce 9400 GT cards which are really inexpensive right now). But, if you don't work with graphics or aren't into gaming, you're probably running something that has only around 256MB video memory and some sort of "eh" processor.

Guys...

Just a question here' date=' but...

Does everybody's computer start to get funky when there's a forum page with a dozen or so embedded videos? Somehow it seems photos aren't so much a problem, but...

I love listening even to stuff I've never heard of that the younger guys, especially put up, but

I wonder if the forum would work better with just the url???????

This ain't to spoil anybody's fun, but... I've noticed it on other pages where even a general cable modem just ain't wide enough bandwidth to not get hiccups.

m

[/quote']

I agree. SOme people's 'puters and connection to the 'net is less than the best. I think, in the case of videos, a URL would be better. It is no harder to click a URL than a video window.

Archived