Gibson Brands Forums

Issue with the pickup on my Songwriter Deluxe - HELP!

samuelch

So I have a 2004 Songwriter Deluxe that I got off of my electric guitarist (he bought it brand new and barely used it).

I noticed something peculiar - when I got the guitar from him, I noticed that the battery was dead.

He told me that he changed it a couple days ago, but we thought maybe it was a bad battery since he has a bunch of 9vs lying around.

I used the guitar live on Sunday about 2 weeks ago - I put in a fresh battery and played for about a hour.

Then I put the guitar in the case and did not plug it in until today. This is 2 weeks later without even using the pickup.

The battery was dead again! I'm guessing there must be something wrong with the pickup - maybe the wiring for the battery to just drain like that?

My electric guitarist rarely used it - plugged it in maybe 5 times since he had it and kept it mostly in the case so he had no idea about this issue.

Has anyone had this problem before with their Songwriter?

It sucks because I love this guitar - and I will probably have to bring it into my tech this week - not even sure if they can figure out the problem.

For now, I took the battery out and will put it back in on Sunday.

Oh and the pickup is the older under the saddle Fishman one - no controls.

So I have a 2004 Songwriter Deluxe that I got off of my electric guitarist (he bought it brand new and barely used it).

I noticed something peculiar - when I got the guitar from him' date=' I noticed that the battery was dead.

He told me that he changed it a couple days ago, but we thought maybe it was a bad battery since he has a bunch of 9vs lying around.

I used the guitar live on Sunday about 2 weeks ago - I put in a fresh battery and played for about a hour.

Then I put the guitar in the case and did not plug it in until today. This is 2 weeks later without even using the pickup.

The battery was dead again! I'm guessing there must be something wrong with the pickup - maybe the wiring for the battery to just drain like that?

My electric guitarist rarely used it - plugged it in maybe 5 times since he had it and kept it mostly in the case so he had no idea about this issue.

Has anyone had this problem before with their Songwriter?

It sucks because I love this guitar - and I will probably have to bring it into my tech this week - not even sure if they can figure out the problem.

For now, I took the battery out and will put it back in on Sunday.

Oh and the pickup is the older under the saddle Fishman one - no controls. [/quote']

Several guys on the forum have these Samuel. Although I own a SWD12 I never play it plugged therefore I am useless!

Albertjohn has a 6 which he gigs etc so when the boy gets up ( only 08.00 in UK at moment and far too early for butch charted accountants) he will doubtless comment from experience

All best and welcome

Not only up but breakfasted, walked the dogs and started wallpapering!

Samuelch, as John says I have a 6 string cutaway with a Fishman under saddle and the on board controls. I plug it in 2 or 3 times a month for open mics and the like. I can't remember when I changed the battery last. They seem to go on for ages.

Therefore, it does seem that you have a short of some decription causing the battery to drain. As you say, have your tech check it out as it's clearly not right.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

All the best.

There are no controls on this SWD - so no onboard tuner.

Just your simple under the saddle pickup with a battery that is right above the sound hole.

For now, battery is out and will just put it back in on Sunday when I play again.

I have already contacted my tech and he will take a look at it Monday - he said he will take the pickup out and get a closer look.

The active pickup with no onboard electronics will only engage the battery if there is a complete circuit. If you leave it plugged in, the battery will drain, even if your amp, pedal or tuner is turned off. If the battery drains and there is no plug in the jack, there must be a short to ground somewhere in the circuit path. That's as far as my thinking takes me.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a brand new Song Writer Delux and I'm having the same problem. The battery housing seems to be a POS as well and I have to put a shim in there to get proper contact and then within a week or so the battery is dead. I've had to return one previous guitar with the same problems and I'm considering taking this one back and being done with it. I love the acoustic sound of this guitar but for the price the electronics are garbage. Any advice before I give up?

I've been real busy and have been meaning to bring the guitar into my luthier.

I'm going to bring it in tomorrow - I hope he can figure out the issue.

He says he will need to take the pickup out and see what the problem is.

Worst case scenario, I will need to get another pickup installed.

I am writing from Spain. I have a Songwriter 2009. I bought it in 09 September and I have change the battery three times. The batteries I have used are Duracell, I can´t understand what is happening. I love the sound of the guitar but It is terrible change the batery during a gig... Is there anybody in Gibson that can explain it?

If you disconnect the battery and test continuity (ohms) between the positive terminal of the battery clip and the TIP of the endpin jack you should not see any reading (1) (with no plug in the jack of course). Similarly, if you test from the SLEEVE of the endpin jack to the negative terminal of the battery clip you should see no reading. The plug is the only thing that will complete this circuit. If you get a reading, there is a short on the side that you got a reading. It could be anything from a bad solder connection (solder crossing the positive and negative lines) or a twisted lead.

It is early in the morning but I'm sure I've got my positives and negatives lined up properly (electrons flow from minus to plus).

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a 2008 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe with the Fishman pickups... Does the 2004 pickup have a tuner built in? If you left the button pushed in that turns the tuner on for the 2008, it would drain the battery. I hope that helps!

I don't think electronics are covered under Gibson's warranty? Check and see if your friend purchased an extended warranty from the dealer he got it from.

Cheers!

Archived