Gibson Brands Forums

1958 Gibson Country Western reissue

Sauron

Nice selection and it sounds great...... welcome to the forum. Be careful posting questions about when strings are really dead,

which type to use on a particular Gibson, what gauge to use that type of thing....... can lead you down a long and winding road. HAHA

=D>

Thanks for the input, folks! I have seven acoustic guitars, and that one rules the roost, and that ain't easy. I don't own any bad guitars! I have a set of new strings standing by, and yeah, I didn't think the true sound quite came through. My wife now wants to buy me one of those Zoom H4 recorders and some editing software.

As for the video and audio on that, it was recorded with my daughter's Canon Powershot SD2000. The audio is raw, as input into the camera. The video visual effects and titles were done with Windows Moviemaker which is on your computer's menu under "Accessories" if you're running Windows XP. I just goofed around until I liked it, using "Old Film" followed by "Sepia" effects, if I recall correctly. But we're considering a dedicated video camera now, and perhaps some fancy video editing software. Addictive pastime, LOL!

But what I'd really like is more Gibsons. I have two Epi Masterbilts, and AJ500M, and a DR500P, but I have a list as long as my arm of Gibson products I'd like to have, someday! My keenest interest right now is in acoustic archtops. I blame Alan Jackson for the "Pop A Top" video guitar he used, LOL! And Duke Ellington, Wes Montgomery, and Joe Pass, too. And probably others...

Cheers!

Rick

Nice! Last time I played all the Gibsons at Fullers in Houston the Cheryl Crow was my favorite, I almost bought it but just could not get over her name (or anybody elses) on the 12th fret. Had it been a C&W reissue it would be in my livingroom instead of my HB Artist which sounds very, very similiar. Great clip, rock on!

LOL! Todd, you and I should start a club, "Guitarists United Internationally and Totally Against Reminiscent Sentimentalism" (G.U.I.T.A.R.S.) and as our first agenda issue, begin our struggle against all "signature" models, everywhere, forever!

I would own a Sheryl Crowe, if only Sheryl's name did not feature prominently on the 12th fret. Frankly, I would not want anyone's name, it's not Sheryl. Not my own. Not Jim Croce's. Not Hank Williams'. Not Shakespeare's. Not Plato's. Not even Gilgamesh's.

By the way. I have coveted Hummingbirds far more intensely than CWs and far longer. I once saw a guy who'd been sitting on his front porch get up and go in the house with his Hummingbird as we drove past when I was a kid. Just at that moment, the sun reflected off the finish of that guitar and into my young eye, and I was drifting alone upon a cherry sunburst sea (or whatever the official color is called).

I have been convinced ever since that the Hummingbird is the greatest guitar ever made. I'd like a True Vintage or something like one day. I know where there's an actual vintage h-bird right now that I could probably trade for. I wonder how much gas is in the truck?

Cheers!

Rick...;)

BTW welcome to the forum. You should fit in well with your humor! The HB artist is a little different than traditional bird, no art work upper bout is smaller,different bracing, but in my opinion every bit a sweet as I have owned a "full" bird. Gibson must agree because out of curiousity I looked up the Cheryl Crow on this site and it does not have her signature on the fret board like the one I remember. Weird...

Argh! Gibson is Gaslightin' us! LOL! Put that doggone signature back, I remember it too! Or I thought I did...

I know the less ostentatious h-bird, and I like that one as well! I should go look at those.

Cheers!

Rick

Archived