Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 sound comparison

mooboo

I went over to a friend's house and saw that he had a WM J-45. The strings were very old and the guitar hasn't been properly set up in years so I didn't get a good sound comparison. However, I wondering if anyone can lend a quality, acoustic only, sound clip of a J-45. No youtube stuff! I'm looking for a good quality sound. Thanks to anyone who can help!

well I have been playin' with 013 strings now for two years, an' no signs of damage yet.

I don't really fance the sound of lighter strings.

Anyways I think handbuilt guitars like Gibson can take the extra weight of the strings without fallin' apart.

nice stuff guys!

you both have remarkably different sounding recordings. great playing too.

would you guys mind sharing each of your room / signal chains, just for the heck of it?

Room description > Mic > Mic placement > Pre > Interface > resolution + sampling rate?

I have a J-45TV and love to experiment with this stuff. Mine's away getting a new setup

with .013's and possibly a compensated saddle. Will record it as soon as it comes home! =D>

would you guys mind sharing each of your room / signal chains' date=' just for the heck of it?

Room description > Mic > Mic placement > Pre > Interface > resolution + sampling rate?

[/quote']

Hmmm,

Room: My living room (no acoustic treatments to speak of, just an area rug over hardwoods, some furniture, and drapes.)

Mic: The built-in condenser mics on my Sony digital recorder (PCM-D50)

Mic placement: About two feet or so in front of my guitar?

Pre, Interface: Built-in to the PCM-D50 (I did use Audacity to pull the tracks into my Mac and iTunes to convert to MP3)

Resolution/Sampling Rate: 44.10 kHz 16bit

I've just begun learning how to use the little Sony unit. (I had to look up the resolution/sampling rate info as I wasn't really sure what I had it set at.) I've also made use of it to help convert a number of my vinyl LPs to digital so I could load them onto my iPod - works great. I imagine that I could probably obtain better results after properly learning how to set things up. There's a lot more to this recording stuff than I had imagined. Although overall, I'd probably do better spending more time just practicing the guitar.

As far as the guitar goes, I use D'Addario PBs (mediums: .13 - .56). I just put new strings on the guitar before making the recordings I posted. I actually prefer the tone better after the strings have had a few days of use. I need to get the guitar tweaked, would like to have the action raised just a bit.

That's about all I can think of to share.

Guth

hey Guth -

thanks for sharing. pretty amazed at the sound of the sony pcm-d50. again, it all sounds great!

yeah, I pretty much record demos in a similar situation in my front room - hardwood w/ rugs.

I think the J-45TV records well no matter what! :D

Well my sample was recorded in a purty small bedroom with quite thin plaster walls.

I used a Studio B1 microphone an' had it placed in the middle of the room with the guitar like 20 Centimeters from it.

Don't know any advanced details such as samplin' rates right now, will get 'em for ya later thou.

Archived