Gibson Brands Forums

Morning fellas

Gibson CS

Fellas...

Yesterday I bought a Peavey Special USA CT...

Its a fantastic guitar. Itll never replace my LP, but it does have its power points.

The pups are high output, and it has a Floyd Rose. I admit I find the Rose a pain in the butt.

I have to get used to it I suppose. The neck is stunning. Its unfinished birdseye maple.

Head to head with my LP?

The Paul is a much beefier sound, and the sustain hangs on forever. To me, this is a classic rock sound

at its finest. Thats why itll always be my number one guitar.

The Peavey is more for metal style rock, and I can have some fun with the Floyd Rose.

Its just another option in my arsenal.

Anyone have any tips on tuning the Floyd monster...they would be appreciated.

IMG_0380.jpg

Ian...

Its actually the Rockerverb. The Thunderverb is for bass guitar.

The sound is amazing!

Its versed a little darker then a Marshall, and the way the cabinets are designed you can feel

the bass right into your core! Orange calls it acoustic coupling..I call it two rubber tracks that seat

the cabinet to the floor! lol

Its got all the gain you could ever want, and it cleans up nicely. The reverb can go from sopping wet to mellow chimes with a turn of the knob.

I use it with the Hotplate so I can push the tubes to their limits, but still have the volume at a respectable level.

Without question the best sounding amp I have ever owned. ...and ive owned many in my years.

Deepblue1963,

Congrats on your new axe, the Peavey's have a very unique feel and sound...definitely a rocker. The floyds have the rep of being a pain in the butt, but really aren't too bad. I am not familiar with the CT model, I've played the Musicman which has a flush-mounted Floyd and own a vintage Kramer and a Jackson, both with FRs. Is yours a recessed or flush-mounted trem? The key to keeping the Floyd in tune is to keep an eye on how it sits on the body. To ensure proper tension it needs to be parallel to the body. It is certainly a good way to tell when your strings need changing, the trem will start to sag.

To begin: String gauge will dictate how many springs you'll need (usually 2 for 09s or 10s). During initial setup, set the bridge fine tuners to the middle position and tune like you would a fixed bridge using the head tuners. Don't worry about getting it exact at this time, just get it close. Check your trem position and adjust using the screws in the spring cavity to adjust the trem to parallel. Once parallel, the bridge tension is set, flip it back over and re-tune. You will set the intonation at this point, reverify you are still parallel, then lock everything down. I have found that the act of locking it down will put it slightly out of tune, now you can use the fine tuners to bring it right in. The best part of this is once you've done all this, you won't have to mess with it again unless you change the gauge of your strings. One other thing, when you change your strings, change them out one at a time, this will ensure the neck stays straight.

There are lots of good sites out there to help you out with the FR.

Look out below, its time for a "Dive bomb"

Ian...

Its actually the Rockerverb. The Thunderverb is for bass guitar.

The sound is amazing!

Its versed a little darker then a Marshall' date=' and the way the cabinets are designed you can feel

the bass right into your core! Orange calls it acoustic coupling..I call it two rubber tracks that seat

the cabinet to the floor! lol

Its got all the gain you could ever want, and it cleans up nicely. The reverb can go from sopping wet to mellow chimes with a turn of the knob.

I use it with the Hotplate so I can push the tubes to their limits, but still have the volume at a respectable level.

Without question the best sounding amp I have ever owned. ...and ive owned many in my years.[/quote']

Oops! My mistake!

Thanks for the info, good stuff to know.

Silverbursted...

Thanks for the tips. The Peavey comes with a locking mechanism so I can have full float for dive bombs or pull ups. Or, I can lock it down so its a hardtail.

Im used to resting my palm on the bridge (Gibson)..Now I have to be careful.

Silverbursted...

Its a damn good time isnt it? lol

I know this is a Gibson forum, and I do appreciate the fellas not jumping on me for talking about other guitars.

My Les Paul is my dream guitar, it will always be my number one.

Thats the main reason im here.

I fell asleep a few weeks ago with my LP next to me on the bed. The little woman took a picture.

She said she always knew I lusted after it. lol

Archived